The School of Digital Art's (SODA) MA Photography course provides a dynamic opportunity for you to test, push and extend the current boundaries of the photographic medium. You will explore photography through the medium’s rich critical and technological contexts, and develop your creative practice in line with your individual interests and professional ambitions. As an MA Photography student you will be part of SODA, where you will study in an environment that is purpose-built for today’s fast-moving creative and digital sectors. It will offer boundary-breaking and cross-disciplinary learning opportunities that reflects modern project-based working practices. It offers the opportunity to collaborate with a dynamic creative community of sound designers, filmmakers, games developers and more. SODA is also home to staff from a wide range of disciplines, who are research active and experts in their chosen area and who enjoy well-established links to the wider creative media, arts and digital tech industries. In addition to established photographic technologies, you will also have access to a wide range of new digital equipment and facilities, including photographic studios, sound studios, green screen spaces, moving image studios and immersive spaces and technologies. During the programme you will develop professional links with the creative community and industries both locally, nationally and internationally. For students and creative media professionals alike, SODA is well positioned within Manchester as a great place for building a network and developing your research and practice in the media, games and digital tech industries. Features and Benefits
- You will join a course that fosters interesting and diverse engagement with external partners within the Manchester, the region, nationally and internationally, including HOME, BBC (Media City), Manchester City and Regional Art Galleries, Open Eye Photography Gallery, Red Eye Photography Network, International Anthony Burgess Foundation and international partnerships in Europe, China, North America, India and Malaysia.
- You will become an integral part of School of Digital Arts, home to a creative community of interdisciplinary research staff with expertise in diverse fields of practice such as Animation, Filmmaking, Photography, Games Art, Immersive Arts and Sound Design.
- You will have the space, guidance and technical resources to enable you to develop your independent photographic practice, whilst taking advantage of the transdisciplinary activities provided by our offer of optional units and Co-Labs.
- You will have the opportunity to extend and develop your experience in the professional sphere by being introduced to our close links with national and international educational partners, research communities and strong links with the creative and digital sectors across the UK.
- By joining SODA at Manchester Met, you will become a part of the University’s dynamic research community within a city that is one of the fastest growing tech hubs in Europe with a burgeoning arts scene and creative industries sector.
You will normally have at least a 2:2 undergraduate UK honours degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. creative/digital arts, management, education, science etc). Equivalent EU/international qualifications are also accepted. Applicants who do not meet these criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Other professional qualifications will be considered on merit and/or with relevant professional experience. Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English language qualification.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course