Boost your employability with a year on placement as part of your degree. Our strong industry links help you secure vital experience in engineering roles with SMEs, national and international firms. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- RANKINGS: This course is ranked 1st in the UK for graduate prospects* and is in the Top 10 for teaching quality†, satisfaction with teaching^, student experience† and satisfaction with feedback^. (*The Complete University Guide 2024, ^The Guardian University Guide 2024 and †The Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2024)
- ACCREDITATION: BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering is accredited by the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, the Permanent Way Institution and the Institute of Highway Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
- FACILITIES: You'll study in our fantastic facilities at Markeaton Street. Our STEM centre houses a range of equipment which you'll use throughout your studies, including a 10m flume, a state-of-the-art ground penetrating radar and a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) with survey and thermal imaging capabilities.
- LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES: You'll learn through a mixture of lectures, seminars, tutorials, on and off-site laboratory and site work, and visits to companies. You'll work on real life projects and case studies, so you'll be able to put your theory into practice and develop the knowledge and skills employers are looking for.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: We offer a year industrial placement which will take place between the second and final year of your degree and there are a large number of SMEs, large, national and international companies who are looking for placement students each year. There is a range of support available for students who are looking to enhance their employability whilst studying including internships, placements and graduate roles.
- EXPERT TEACHING: You'll be taught by experienced civil engineering practitioners who are highly skilled in this field, ensuring you are taught to a high professional standard.
- This course will enhance your skills in advanced areas of civil engineering theory, particularly structures and infrastructure design. You'll develop a thorough understanding of the process of civil engineering technical design and management. You'll also be introduced to key design skills in structures, fluids, geology, soil mechanics, surveying and materials.
- You'll be assessed through workshop laboratories, surveying fieldwork, group work and individual assignments. Some traditional exams may be involved for design tests.
- When you graduate, you'll have lots of career opportunities in civil engineering in fields such as design, maintenance, asset management and construction. You could work in private companies which specialise in contracting or consulting, for local authorities, water companies, Network Rail or the Highways Agency, for example.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test (SELT) at CEFR level B2 or above
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|