Could you inspire and motivate people to pursue healthier lifestyles? This pioneering degree allows you to apply your passion for sport and exercise to make a genuine difference to people's health and wellbeing. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- BREAKING NEW GROUND: Designed in collaboration with Derby City Council and the first course of its kind, this course will equip you with the skills to have a real impact on improving health and wellbeing in today’s society. You’ll explore the importance of physical activity and nutrition in preventing and managing disease as well as promoting optimal health and wellbeing at all stages in life.
- ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: We have mapped this programme to national standards for the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) so you will have opportunities to gain Level Two (gym instructor) and Level Three (personal trainer) accreditation, strengthening your CV.
- PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: Work placements with our partner, Derby City Move More Consortium, and many other local organisations as well as practical health promotion and research projects, will allow you to work in different settings with clients of all ages and abilities.
- RESEARCH ACTIVE TEAM: Our teaching team includes accredited professionals who will provide you with high quality teaching and support. They are actively involved in research into a wide-range of themes including, physical activity monitoring of preschool children, nutrition, performance profiling and human balance control.
- FACILITIES: You will hone your skills in our well-equipped sport and exercise facility to measure the parameters of health and fitness. In addition, we use a range of computer software packages for statistical analysis. You’ll also be well catered for if you want to take part in recreational sport – whether as a first timer or as an elite performer. We have a 44-station fitness facility equipped with the latest Technogym and Wellness system technology.
- In your first year, you'll look at the key principles of sport and exercise physiology, psychology and anatomy. Your second and third years introduce you to modules covering topics such as lifestyle and behaviour change, international public health and the biomedical implications of exercise. There is an applied focus throughout the programme and so you'll have lots of opportunity to experience real world scenarios through work placements.
- Assessments will take place through oral presentations, written assignments, practicals, exams and research projects.
- The course is designed to make you highly employable. You will graduate with the applied experience, knowledge and professionalism you need for a variety of careers related to community development, nutrition and healthy eating promotion, health improvement, exercise referral and lifestyle management. You could secure employment with a wide range of organisations including the NHS, local councils and public health agencies. With postgraduate teacher training, there are opportunities to go into educational careers too.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is also available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|