The MPhil in Bioscience Enterprise (MBE) programme is an intensive taught science and business course intended for those who have an interest in enterprise and the ambition to found technology companies or take up leadership, executive or consultancy roles in the life sciences sector. The educational aims of the MBE are to:
- enhance understanding of life sciences and related technological developments;
- foster research and analytical skills and methodologies;
- develop written and verbal communication skills;
- provide knowledge of the ethical, legal and regulatory issues associated with bringing scientific advances to market; and
- develop applied business skills, including those that enable students to:
- identify potential business opportunities arising from research in life sciences and related areas;
- exploit entrepreneurial opportunities; and
- undertake senior executive roles within biotechnology companies and other commercial entities.
The MPhil in Bioscience Enterprise programme attracts applications from students of the highest calibre from across the world. Entry to the programme is highly competitive, with many applications received for every place. Approximately 25 students are accepted annually on the basis of a written submission, followed by interview. The strongest applicants have a record of high academic achievement and relevant work or professional postgraduate experience, gained in an academic, industrial or business environment. A degree in the life sciences, physical sciences, engineering, medicine or veterinary science is the usual prerequisite. Occasionally suitable applicants from other backgrounds, for example, economics, finance or law, are admitted providing they are able to demonstrate their strong interest in the core disciplines of the course. At least two years of postgraduate experience prior to application in a related academic, industrial or business environment is highly recommended but not essential. Each year a number of first class new graduates are also accepted.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course