We've designed this course for graduates who may not have a background in computing but are looking to launch their careers in this fast-paced, in-demand field. As computing continues to evolve at a remarkable pace, the expertise to harness the latest technology becomes more vital every day for organisations in every sector. Our MSc Computer Science course provides that expertise – helping you develop the specialist skills for a career in computing. On this computer science masters, you’ll explore programming, advanced computer networks, cloud development and information systems. You will learn concepts, techniques and technologies to equip you for the practical side of investigating real-world problems and creating a system or solution to match. Through this, you’ll gain a set of skills made for the modern professional world of computing. You’ll also have the flexibility to set the direction for your postgraduate studies with a masters project of your own design. While you’ll have the one-to-one support of your supervisor, it’s a solo project – as much about developing computing skills as it is about building confidence and autonomy, vital skills for the workplace. By the time you’re finished, you’ll be equipped with both theoretical understanding and practical abilities in computer science – ready to apply your knowledge to real-world situations. Features and Benefits:
- Excellent facilities – The department has an extensive range of equipment in our own specialist laboratories, together with the support of our dedicated technical staff.
- Thriving technology sector – Manchester is home to one of the largest creative and digital technology sectors outside of London, making us well-placed to deliver this course.
- Institute of Coding – The Department of Computing and Mathematics is part of the new £40m national Institute of Coding (IoC). Our masters students will have access to the IoC’s cutting-edge computer lab to hone their skills in this area.
- Professional accreditation – This course is accredited by the BCS (the Chartered Institute for IT) providing strong industry links and a professional focus.
- Optional placement year – Boost your career prospects and put theory into practice with the option to take an industry placement year.
- Investing in your future – We’re transforming our science and engineering campus. Opening in 2023, our multi-million redevelopment provides a professional study environment with world-class facilities so you’re well prepared to experience life within a modern industry setting when you graduate.
- Dedicated computing studio space – Designed in collaboration with our current students, a new studio provides you with a professional environment to work individually and in groups. As well as being a great learning environment, the space can be used outside of your classes to organise hackathons, develop your own video games or simply space use your imagination to create the technology of the future.
- Learn alongside world-leading research – 86% of our research outputs in Computer Science are rated world-leading and internationally excellent (REF, 2021). Our Cyber Security research provides ‘zero-trust’, artificial intelligence-enabled and cryptographic solutions to a range of cyber security challenges helping to deliver secure, resilient, and efficient services.
Qualified teacher status (QTS)
To work as a teacher at a state school in England or Wales, you will need to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS). This is offered on this course for the following level:
- Course does not award QTS
Please see our website for information on entry requirements.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 69 69