Please check the Sheffield Hallam University website for the latest information. Course summary
- Undertake taught modules alongside an extended research project in a professional lab.
- Explore the fundamental principles that underpin environmental, industrial and medical microbiology.
- Learn how microorganisms cause disease and interact with the immune system and what practical steps can be taken to prevent and treat these conditions.
- Consider how bacteria and fungi can be used as tools in a diverse range of industries.
- Develop and enhance your laboratory skills from experimental design, through utilisation of pertinent techniques, to interpretation of results.
- lectures and seminars
- workshops and tutorials
- laboratory classes
- an extended research project
- working in a professional laboratory
- academic research
- the industrial biotechnology sector
- the health biotechnology sector
- the pharmaceutical industry
- food and beverage industries
- preparation for a PhD
Module and assessment information for future years is displayed as currently validated and may be liable to change. When selecting electives, your choices will be subject to the core requirements of the course. As a result, selections may be limited to a choice between one of two or more specified electives in some instances. Compulsory modules Applied Laboratory Practice Extended Research Project Fundamentals Of Microbial Biotechnology Fundamentals Of Molecular Microbiology Microbial Pathogenesis
A 2:1 in a relevant Honours degree is normally accepted as the entry requirement for the course. Applicants with alternative qualifications with academic attainment or skills in subjects which are directly relevant to the course will also be considered. To be successful on this course, you must have relevant practical laboratory experience. Details of your laboratory experience must be specifically detailed in your personal statement and verified by one of your referees. If English is not your first language you will need an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all skills, or a recognised equivalent.
English language requirements
|will need an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all skills, or a recognised equivalent.
If English is not your first language you will need an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all skills, or a recognised equivalent.
Please click the following link to find out more about English language requirements for this course
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Scholarships, discounts and bursaries may be available to students who study this course.