Overview You will be given a foundation in the main genres of Creative Writing and the fundamentals of contemporary professional writing and editing. Over three years you will explore writing prose, poetry, life writing and media writing, taught by award winning writers and guest speakers from industry. You will have the opportunity to attend a vibrant series of lectures, workshops and readings from visiting writers. At the University of Worcester our focus is to help you establish your own identity as a writer and enhance your skillset to enable you to pursue a career that utilises your excellent writing and communication skills. Throughout your degree you will be encouraged to experiment as you are mentored by professional writers who will help you to discover the variety of career choices available to you. You will be supported to develop a writer’s network and evolve your own distinctive writing practice and submit your work for publication. Creative Writing is also available as a Joint Honours degree with English Literature, English Language, Illustration, Screenwriting, Playwriting and History. Please visit our Creative Writing website to read student testimonials and blog posts about studying Creative Writing at Worcester. There is also a link to our upcoming events that are free for students, staff and members of the public to attend. Key features
- Explore a range of different writing styles and platforms that are relevant to the contemporary ways in which writers communicate and showcase their creativity.
- Study a flexible and vibrant portfolio of modules that is constantly developing and improving based on student feedback.
- Learn from professional creative writers who are also experts in their academic fields (e.g. spoken word, contemporary poetry, hypermedia, historical fiction and environmental writing).
- Work closely with small groups of peers who will provide feedback on your writing as well as experience one-to-one mentorship with writing tutors.
- Gain valuable insight into the professional creative industry by participating in work placement opportunities, attending guest speaker events, volunteering, short internships and collaborations.
- Become a part of a rich and vibrant writing community with a number of active clubs and societies.
- Attend national writing events such as UniSlam and Verve Poetry Festival
- The University of Worcester has been ranked in the top 5 in the UK for Quality Education in the Times Higher Education’s University Impact Rankings every year since its inception in 2019. The University has also been ranked in the top 5 in the UK for Gender Equality in all years of the rankings and currently holds the number one spot (2023).
- Worcester is a leader in sustainability and has been awarded First Class Honours in the People and Planet Green League each and every year since 2009. In 2019, the University was named Sustainability Institution of the Year in the Green Gown Awards and was Highly Commended in the global awards at the UN.
For a breakdown of the modules you'll study each year visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'.
For detailed information about assessment, feedback, teaching and contact time visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course