Aberystwyth University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Our Joint Honours programme in Psychology and Education brings together two exciting, complementary disciplines and this is reflected in the way you will learn on this scheme. You will develop a deeper understanding of children’s cognitive and social development, and you will have the opportunity to study and evaluate how these are supported through educational policy and practice. With teaching delivered by subject experts from the Departments of Psychology and School of Education, our combined ethos is to create a learning community that facilitates you in the development of your conceptual and theoretical knowledge but also enables you to develop career-oriented, transferable skills that will support your continued development beyond your degree. Also, as long as you meet the entry requirements, you will be guaranteed an interview for Primary PGCE at Aberystwyth. Why study Psychology and Education at Aberystwyth University? The Psychology element of this scheme consists of core modules that confer upon graduates the British Psychological Society’s Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (subject to achieving a minimum of a 2:2 degree). The Education component offers a broad choice of specialised option modules, meaning you can tailor your degree to your developing interests and future career ambitions. A final year dissertation affords you the opportunity to develop an interdisciplinary project that draws on the skills, knowledge and understanding you will have developed from each of your disciplines. Below are just some of the other reasons why you should consider Aberystwyth University.
- Student Satisfaction: at Aberystwyth, we work with students to help them become informed and curious thinkers. We use our teaching and research experience to inspire students giving them the skills and confidence to do whatever they wish to do in future.
- Equipping you for life: all our degree schemes are designed with employability in mind and are accredited by the British Psychological Society – perfect for graduate-level careers or access to postgraduate training.
- Friendly and Inclusive: it is important for you to study in a supportive, student-focused environment. Our staff work hard to provide the guidance and encouragement you will need.
- Exceptional Resources: students will have access to modern research facilities and outstanding student learning spaces are in addition to excellent central university facilities. These resources allow us to provide you with an innovative approach to learning and teaching.
- Clinical, Educational, Occupational, Sports and Exercise psychology;
- Psychotherapy and Counselling;
- Social Work;
- Health Care;
- Human Resources;
- Careers Advisory Service;
- Marketing, Publishing and Advertising.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site (Aberystwyth)
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Applicants are selected on their individual merits and offers can vary. We allow you flexibility in meeting our entry requirements, and all qualifications that you have already gained, or are working towards, will be considered when reviewing your application. We have an inclusive policy which recognises a broad range of qualifications. The entry requirements listed above represent typical offers for some of the most popular qualifications taken by applicants. If you cannot find the qualifications that you are studying (or have previously studied) please contact our Undergraduate Admissions Office (Telephone: +44 (0)1970 622021; Email: [email protected]) for advice on your eligibility and details of the typical offer you are likely to receive.
Additional entry requirements
A minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent) English or Welsh is a requirement for entry to all our degree schemes. Business, Mathematics, Psychology and Science degree schemes also require a minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent).
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9000||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9000||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9000||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Aberystwyth University offers a valuable package of scholarships and bursaries to support students. Our long-established Entrance Examination competition means you could get up to £2,000 a year towards your living and study costs. You can combine that with any or all of our other awards, to make your financial package more valuable. Our awards include Sport and Music Scholarships, Bursaries for Care Leavers/Young Carers/Estranged Students and a range of department specific awards. Please visit our website for full details.
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Department of Psychology (undergraduate enquiries)
+44 (0)1970 628796
+44 (0)1970 628781
School of Education (undergraduate enquiries)
+44 (0)1970 622103
+44 (0)1970 622258
Undergraduate Admissions Office (undergraduate enquiries)