Overview Knowledgeable and effective practitioners are vital in supporting children to develop their learning and achieve their potential. This new and innovative degree is designed for people who are working in, or who aspire to work with children as a teaching assistant, special needs assistant, cover supervisor, HLTA or outdoor learning practitioner. The Foundation Degree in Education and Development offer pathways of specialisation in Teaching and Learning, SEND or Outdoors Learning. Whilst studying this foundation degree you will explore factors from the perspectives of both young people and practitioners that can influence learning and development as well as how the environment and curriculum supports development. As a result, you will have the knowledge and skills needed to make a significant difference to learners’ outcomes. This programme has been developed to draw and build upon prior experience and skills to support you in discovering fresh insights. Based in the South-West, this programme is run by the Somerset Centre for Integrated Learning. Key features
- Based in Somerset, this programme is not taught at our Worcester campus
- Opportunities to develop key skills to prepare for further study and/or employment and lifelong learning, in addition to support for promotion in professional roles
- The foundation degree is a significant step towards acquiring a full honours degree in the future, with top-up options available in Worcester and the South West
- The full honours degree then opens up the possibility of a route in to teaching via a PGCE or the School Direct programme
- A golden opportunity for those working or interested in working in an educational support role to enhance their skills and expertise
- The course offers you the opportunity to combine studying and learning on the job. Students are expected to spend at least 10 hours a week in a setting, this can be either as a member of staff or on a voluntary basis. In addition, there is an expectation that students visit specialist provision settings relative to their pathway.
- Completion of the Foundation Degree will enable you to progress to our BA Hons in Professional Practice which takes one year to complete.
- The full honour degree then opens up the possibility of a route in to teaching via a PGCE or the School Direct programme
- Shortlisted for Times Higher Education’s University of the Year in 2016, 2019 and 2020
- Top 5 in the UK for Quality Education in Times Higher Education’s University Impact Rankings 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Sustainability Institution of the Year in the Green Gown Awards 2019
- Top 10 for Sustained Employment - Longitudinal Educational Outcomes survey (2017)
For a breakdown of the modules you'll study each year visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'
For detailed information about assessment, feedback, teaching and contact time visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Somerset Centre for Integrated Learning
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.