Our Transport Planning and the Environment MSc will equip you with the knowledge and skills to address the environmental impacts of transport. From urban pollution, public health and policymaking to road safety management and traffic network modelling – you’ll gain insights into how a range of disciplines can work together to design sustainable solutions to global challenges. You’ll learn the techniques behind cutting-edge data collection and analysis that help improve the air quality of our cities and the wellbeing of your fellow citizens. You’ll also study environmental research techniques to help develop transport networks founded on robust evidence, sustainable and equitable principles, state-of-the-art modelling, accurate data analysis, and a profound understanding of human psychology. Studying in the Institute of Transport Studies at Leeds will also give you a unique head start in your career in transport. Not only does our world-leading research shape the course, but our close links with large corporations means you’ll have chance to interact with potential employers and possibly interview for graduate schemes and other vacancies. We also offer opportunities to build your industry work experience before you graduate with work placements and project work throughout your course. Why study at Leeds:
- Learn the latest innovations in transport planning and beyond from our Institute for Transport Studies’ world-leading research conducted right here on campus that feeds directly into the course.
- Advance your knowledge and understanding of how diverse data sources can be used to create policies that reduce air traffic pollution and improve government policymaking.
- Gain hands-on experience using state-of-the-art monitoring tools to measure vehicle emissions and evaluate data.
- Work with sophisticated models used to design traffic systems and pollution controls that can help reduce harm to people and the environment.
- Tailor the course to suit your career aspirations with a wide selection of optional modules in areas such as sustainable spatial planning, green logistics and traffic management to hone your knowledge and specialise in topics that interest you the most.
- Build industry experience collaborating on a multi-disciplinary team project with students from other degree specialisms that focuses on a real-world transport problem posed by Leeds City Council and/or choosing our optional four-month industrial placement scheme.
- Experience expert theoretical and practical teaching delivered by a programme team made up of researchers and academics from the Institute for Transport Studies with an international reputation (members of our team advise European and national governments on emissions control) and who have extensive expertise across a variety of transport disciplines
- Enhance your career prospects and join our successful alumni who have secured jobs in some of the most influential companies and institutions in transport.
- Take advantage of our close working relationships with big organisations in industry such as ARUP, AECOM and Transport for London who actively advertise and recruit directly from the Institute of Transport Studies.
- This course offers flexible study options where you can study full-time over 12 months or part-time over 24 or 36 months to fit in with your lifestyle.
Assessment is varied and can include coursework essays, case-study reports, group assignments, posters, presentations and exams.
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a related subject such as engineering, environmental science, maths, physics, computing, natural sciences and quantitative subjects. Graduates from other disciplines and those with professional qualifications plus experience in the sector will also be considered. We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course