Developments in cloud computing technology are transforming the way we live and work. This Masters degree will equip you with specialist knowledge in this fast-growing field and allow you to explore a range of advanced topics in computer science. Our Advanced Computer Science MSc will build on your existing knowledge of computer science, giving you a foundation in topics like systems programming and algorithms, as well as specialist modules in advanced distributed systems – especially cloud techniques, technologies and applications. The programme will give you the theoretical and practical skills required to design and implement larger, more complex systems using state-of-the-art technologies. You’ll even have the chance to work as an integral member of one of our research groups when you develop your main project. Studying in our School of Computing gives you access to a whole range of specialist facilities, whilst being taught by academics who are experts in their fields. We’re also responsible for producing internationally excellent research and have excellent links with the Cloud Computing industry including Atos, Alibaba Cloud and Microsoft meaning you’ll be learning the most up-to-date practices and techniques needed to pursue an exciting career in industry. Why study at Leeds:
- Research produced by the Leeds Institute for Data Analytics and our School’s globally-renowned research conducted right here on campus feeds directly into the course, shaping your learning with the latest thinking.
- Benefit from studying at a university that’s partnered with the Alan Turing Institute, the UK’s national institute for data science and artificial intelligence.
- Advance your knowledge and skills in key areas of computing including software engineering, whilst focusing on both theory and practice so you can understand and implement cloud computing applications and architectures.
- Tailor the degree to suit your specific interests with a selection of optional modules to choose from such as data science, data mining, machine learning and blockchain technologies.
- Build industry experience by conducting your own individual project which focuses on a real-world topic of your choice, giving you the chance to develop professional skills in research and critical thinking.
- Access a wide range of industry-standard specialist facilities including a state-of-the-art cloud computing lab, a large High Performance Computing (HPC) resource and a visualisation lab including a Powerwall, benchtop display with tracking system, WorldViz PPT optical tracking system and Intersense InertiaCube orientation tracker.
- Experience expert theoretical and practical teaching delivered by a programme team made up of academics who specialise in a wide range of computing topics.
- Study in the Sir William Henry Bragg building which provides excellent facilities and teaching spaces for an outstanding student experience.
You’ll be assessed using a range of techniques including case studies, technical reports, presentations, in-class tests, assignments and exams. Optional modules may also use alternative assessment methods.
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in computer science or a comparable subject with a substantial computing element. Relevant work experience will also be considered. We expect you to have significant programming competence and prior experience of systems development and knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course