With a strong focus on employability, diversity and social responsibility, BA (Hons) Fashion Communication is aimed at applicants from a variety of backgrounds who have the ambition to make change to a pioneering fashion audience. The programme structure allows students to develop their creative practice whilst gaining a sound knowledge of international fashion communication. Students will gain understanding of the varied processes of communication from traditional to digital skills and methods, considering the consumer and the brand, which inform strategies for developing campaigns and how these are marketed. This aligns with an awareness of professionalism within fashion business, contemporary technological and cultural influences, and deep analysis of fashion campaigns and an understanding of how the fashion industry is seeking to become more inclusive of, and accountable to, the diverse communities it serves. The final year provides opportunities for students to propose and create future-facing fashion spaces that promote and communicate inclusive emotional and immersive experiences. This will equip graduates with key skills to help develop the fashion industry to become more ethically conscious, socially progressive, and environmentally sustainable through communication outputs, brand stories and narratives. The character and culture of Manchester is embedded in this course. As an international city that attracts global brands and has a flourishing independent fashion economy. Through a range of live project briefs and opportunities for collaboration, students are encouraged to challenge the status-quo and produce creative outputs that demonstrate their unique skills and experience to prospective employers. Students will have the opportunity to benefit from real-world learning experiences during study trips both in the UK and internationally. Previously, students have travelled to London, New York, Copenhagen, and Shanghai as part of the course and have visited industry head offices, educational partners, studios, galleries, and trade shows. Features and Benefits:
- The best of both – Develop technical and creative skills such as styling and graphic design whilst gaining an understanding of business concepts including management, promotion and marketing.
- Collaborative spirit – Work with students from across the Fashion Institute on inter-disciplinary projects, honing essential creative skills needed for the growing creative economy.
- Tailored to your interests – Benefit from exposure to a wide variety of promotional techniques and tailor your studies to your personal interests and career aspirations.
- Manchester and beyond – Our network spans the globe, and includes placements, collaborations and live briefs from partner universities, workshops and design studios in China, India, Japan, Norway, Australia, France and beyond.
- First-hand experience – Present your work to industry at both internal and external events such as Graduate Fashion Week and our end-of-year showcases.
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2023.
If you already have a 2023 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 in English Language or Level 2 Functional Skills English pass A portfolio is required for this course.
Additional entry requirements
Eligible applicants may be invited to interview or to submit a digital portfolio as part of the application process.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course