Do you want to study dance at degree level whilst also gaining an internationally recognised dance teaching qualification? Our innovative two-year Foundation Degree programme is offered in partnership with the University of Chichester. It is built on Chichester College’s reputation for delivering high quality ISTD dance teacher training and the dance department at the University of Chichester’s long-standing reputation for its breadth of study. This Foundation Degree is designed to truly prepare you for a successful and rewarding career in the dance sector either as a performer, choreographer or community dance practitioner or a dance teacher within the independent sector. Drawing on the expertise of a highly qualified teaching team, you will be taught in a nurturing environment enabling you to broaden your dance knowledge, develop your practical skills in technique, performance and choreography and achieve the internationally recognised ISTD Diploma in Dance Education. The Foundation Degree Dance Teaching in the Private Sector comprises 13 modules: Year 1:
- Preparing for Safe Teaching Practice (ISTD DDE Unit 1)
- Social Emotional and Cognitive Development (ISTD DDE Unit 5)
- Genre Specific Dance Practice 1 (ISTD Unit 4 - offered in ISTD Imperial Ballet, Modern Theatre, Tap)
- Dance Techniques 1
- Choreography and Devising
- Choreography and Performance
- Re-examining Dances
- Assisting, Observing and Teaching Practice (DDE Unit 2)
- Genre Specific Dance Practice 2 (ISTD Unit 4 – offered in ISTD Imperial Ballet, Modern Theatre, Tap)
- Dance Techniques 2
- Dance Practice and Production 1
- Dance Practice and Production 2
- Themes, Trends and Discourse in Performance OR Research Methodologies
- Delivery at both the Chichester College campus and the University of Chichester’s Bishop Otter campus, where you will work alongside the BA (Hons) Dance, Dance Performance and Dance Science students
- Small group sizes to ensure you get the support you need to succeed
- Options to select areas of study that relate directly to your career aspirations
- Full access to all University facilities including studios, library, student union, sports facilities, halls of residence and regular performances by visiting dance companies at the University Showrooms
- Opportunity to progress to the University of Chichester’s 3rd year honours degree dance programme
Year 1: • Preparing for Safe Teaching Practice (ISTD DDE Unit 1) • Social Emotional and Cognitive Development (ISTD DDE Unit 5) • Genre Specific Dance Practice 1 (ISTD Unit 4 - offered in ISTD Imperial Ballet, Modern Theatre, Tap) • Dance Techniques 1 • Choreography and Devising • Choreography and Performance • Re-examining Dances Year 2: • Assisting, Observing and Teaching Practice (DDE Unit 2) • Genre Specific Dance Practice 2 (ISTD Unit 4 – offered in ISTD Imperial Ballet, Modern Theatre, Tap) • Dance Techniques 2 • Dance Practice and Production 1 • Dance Practice and Production 2 • Themes, Trends and Discourse in Performance OR Research Methodologies
All students will be internally assessed through a combination of course work and practical work. ISTD Dance Practice and Teaching Practice are assessed by ISTD examiners/moderators.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Chichester Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
ISTD Intermediate in the relevant genre (or recognised equivalency including professional practice). All students take part in a workshop and audition in order to assess suitability for the course. Applications from mature students with work experience and acceptable standard of dance qualifications are encouraged to apply and will be assessed by an assessment/audition as part of their application.
Additional entry requirements
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||No factor below 5.5. For those resident in the UK who have suitable work experience, a college English test is available to show competency in English.|
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.