Medical Science focuses on the cutting-edge science that underpins modern medicine, fostering new discoveries and technologies which improve healthcare. Learn how our bodies work, how disease is treated and how new technology is evolving in this field. Why study BSc (Hons) Medical Science (with Foundation Year option) at BU?
- Focus on the cutting-edge science that underpins modern medicine, fostering new discoveries and technologies which improve healthcare
- Learn how our bodies work, how disease is treated and how new technology is evolving in this field
- As your degree progresses, choose to concentrate your learning on human health and disease or the role of psychology in medical science via the optional units offered
- Develop skills to evaluate scientific literature to understand how evidence-based decisions are made in medical sciences and apply these to conduct your final year research
- We have recently invested in new state-of-the-art laboratory facilities so that you will have the best possible learning environment for developing the necessary practical skills for a career in medical science and the various opportunities it brings
- You have the option to undertake a placement, allowing you to put your skills into practice ensuring that when you graduate, you'll be career ready. 90% of students are in employment or further study within 15 months of graduating (DiscoverUni 2023).
- Developing augmented reality to transform surgical procedures
- Biopsychosocial - further research into the understanding of the human condition.
During the foundation year, you will study the following units: Applied Sciences; Introduction to Biology, Introduction to Psychology; Mathematics in Science; Academic and Professional Study Skills; and Foundation Year Project. Year 1 core units: Introduction to Medical Science | Exploring and Understanding Science | Cell Biology | Chemistry | Introduction to Immunology | Biological & Cognitive Psychology
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|