Coventry University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
This highly practical degree aims to educate and prepare you for a range of careers within the accountancy and finance professions or as general managers; it will give you a solid grasp of accounting techniques, taxation, financial legislation, financial management and business strategies and demonstrate how they are being applied in today’s business world. Our degree is recognised by the Certified Practising Accountants (CPA) Australia, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales (ICAEW). The curriculum and assessment is designed to impart the knowledge needed to pass the professional qualifications, providing a significant number of exemptions, depending on which optional modules you take. You’ll be taught by lecturers, some of which are qualified accountants with substantial experience in practice and industry, many with active research interests in areas such as auditing, banking, stock markets and return on investments. They regularly bring contemporary practice into the classroom, for example, monitoring relevant news stories like the furore around public pensions or executive bonuses, to stimulate debate and discussion. Throughout the course, teaching is designed to embed professional skills. You’ll have access to the one of the largest academic trading floors in Europe, which incorporates the best analytical, news and data platforms to give you first-hand experience of these industry-standard tools. You will use industry-standard business software packages, including SAGE and SAP. You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in a range of activities which develop you personally and professionally. These include: online phase tests, such as ‘My accounting lab’ or BPP SCORM; and graduate assessment days, interview techniques and telephone interviews. Key course benefits
- Outstanding facilities include our trading floor featuring 42 dual screen Bloomberg terminals.
- Coventry Business School was ranked ‘excellent’ in 2018 by Eduniversal, an annual ranking of business schools in over 150 countries.
- Exemptions from up to eight papers of the professional qualifications from the UK’s leading professional accounting bodies, whose representatives have visited our students in the past to speak about the professions and give advice and guidance on how to secure a job.
- Practical focus includes preparing and analysing corporate accounts, as well as studying the impact of finance on real businesses through case studies of a diverse range of organisations, from sole trader partnerships to large corporations like Easyjet, Ryanir and Ben & Jerry’s.
- Designated Employment Personal Tutor (EPT) to work with you throughout your course. All our EPTs have previously worked in industry and have experience of being a recruiter; they understand the labour market, the skills employers look for and the processes used by employers to select candidates.
- Opportunity for all students to apply for an internship or sandwich placement, typically as a trainee accountant or in management accounts, which previously has included companies such as Tesco, the NHS, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), IBM, as well as a large number of small to medium-sized accountancy firms and organisations.
Your main study themes are:
- Accounting and finance fundamentals: The basic principles, rationale and methods used in analysing, recoding, planning and managing accounts or finances.
- Taxation and law: Study of relevant business and competition law, as well as essential knowledge of tax initiatives, such as company, valued added, personal and inheritance tax.
- Economics and business: Understanding how businesses operate within the external environment and the impact on finance of things like competition or overseas tax legislation on profit and loss.
- Statistical analysis and quantitative methods: Essential numeracy skills and analysis for financial reporting, forecasting and modelling, for example, evaluating how much debt a company can afford or the optimum percentage sales growth.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Certified Accountants, Chartered Association of
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Certified Practising Accountants - Australia
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|A level||ABB - BBB|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||The Access to HE Diploma to include 30 Level 3 credits at Merit. Plus GCSE English and Mathematics at grade 4 / C or above.|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||5 GCSEs at grade 4 / C or above to include English and Mathematics.|
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that total the equivalent of three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to attend an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions
Thursday 13th and Friday 14th August - 07:00 - 19:00 Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th August - 10:00 - 16:00 Monday 19th August onwards - 8:30 - 17:00
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152