John F. Kennedy. The Vietnam War. Hollywood. The US presidential election. There is no place on earth like the USA. If you are fascinated by the United States of America and want to learn more about its culture, history, and politics, explore our BA in American Studies. At Richmond, you can graduate with two degrees, one from the US, one from the UK, creating more opportunities for you on both sides of the Atlantic and internationally. As the only American University in the UK, Richmond has an authenticity which few can match when it comes to American Studies. Our programme, which is based on the American liberal arts system of learning, aims to develop an understanding of the United States of America from an international perspective. The programme enables students to take courses in American history, politics and foreign policy alongside courses on film, literature, popular music, globalisation and contemporary popular culture. Students on this programme will also share courses with students majoring in International Relations, Politics, History, Communications, Journalism and other disciplines. Step outside the classroom and explore a different side of America through visits to The American Museum and Gardens in Bath, the Benjamin Franklin House in London and the British Museum. With all of London’s museums, art galleries and theatres on the doorstep, there are many ways to discover different aspects of America. You will also have the opportunity to benefit from the numerous exchange possibilities with universities and colleges in the United States, Canada and Latin America. Top reasons to study this programme:
- Learn within the flexible Liberal Arts framework. Choose your own path – find out more about the Liberal Arts - https://www.richmond.ac.uk/about-richmond/the-liberal-arts/
- Develop a broad understanding of American Studies, touching on areas such as International Relations, Political Science, Cultural Studies, Film Studies, Communications and Art & Design
- Combine American Studies as your major with a minor in a subject of your choice, which could be Film, Communication, Marketing or Political Science, opening up more opportunities when you graduate
- Opportunity to study alongside American and international students creates lively discussions and brings American Studies alive
- Build expertise in the changing relationships between North America and South America
- Specialise in specific aspects of politics, history, and culture in the Americas, including US politics and foreign policy, the ‘Pink Tide’ in Latin America, and the study of film, music, theatre, art and design
- Study abroad in the USA, Canada or Latin America through Richmond’s partner programmes
We offer 4-year Liberal Arts and Business BA degrees. Students entering with A levels or other level 3 qualifications usually gain exemptions from courses in the Richmond Core Curriculum which can mean that you should be able to complete your degree in less than four academic years. The interdisciplinary Liberal Arts approach offers not just breadth but also depth of study and encourages students to make sounds judgments and think independently. A Liberal Arts education is one which encourages you to explore a wide range of subjects and programmes. It reaches across disciplines, building connections between different academic areas such as literature, science, mathematics, writing, business and psychology. Upon entry to Richmond University all students study the Liberal Arts Core Curriculum before specialising in their chosen field.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Chiswick Park Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.