Our BA Digital Media, Arts and Entrepreneurship offers you the chance to combine the study of digital media with critically informed attention to the entrepreneurial skills you need to work in the field of contemporary art and culture. Our world today is increasingly digital. We shape our identity alongside social media influencers and may know our city’s iconic places through location-aware apps. We are learning that algorithms are embedded with biases around race, class, gender and sexuality embedded which need to be challenged. This degree will give you the focus to explore and question our digital world, while also engaging directly with digital technologies and practice. You will gain applied knowledge and aptitude in areas such as:
- cultural policy
- freelance working
- managing creative organisations
- curatorial practice
- PR and marketing
- social media strategy
- digital design
- video editing
- working with data.
- Birkbeck was ranked as one of the top four universities in the UK for its Art and Design research in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework.
- Follow this course on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to discover more about closely related topics and events, and access free taster content.
- Our Department of Film, Media and Cultural Studies offers an extensive portfolio of internationally respected courses that engage with the latest ideas and techniques in media and cultural theory, arts policy and management, film and television studies, journalism, creative marketing and digital media.
- Attend our dynamic programme of seminars, events and guest lectures organised by affiliated research centres and networks such as Birkbeck Interdisciplinary Research in Media and Culture, the Birkbeck Institute for the Moving Image and the Vasari Research Centre for Art and Technology.
- Make yourself at home in our Bloomsbury campus, which includes facilities such as the award-winning Birkbeck Cinema, the Peltz Gallery, and computer labs equipped with video editing, print layout and web design software packages.
- Learn from leading academic researchers in the field such as Scott Rodgers, Joel McKim, Rebekah Cupitt, Silke Arnold-de Simine, Lina Džuverović, Robert Topinka, Sophie Hope and Professor Tim Markham. Acquire up-to-date skills and knowledge from experienced industry practitioners at the heart of London's global media industry.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Essays and a range of alternative and creative methods of assessment, including writing exercises, audiovisual presentations, digital media designs and applications, conceptual representations and online or mobile diaries.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. We also accept other English language tests. If you don’t meet the minimum English language requirements, please contact us or see our international study skills page for more details of how we can help.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birkbeck, University of London
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Birkbeck Student Advice Service
0203 907 0700