If you’re an ambitious engineering graduate – from a civil, mechanical, computing or electronic engineering background – this course is a smart route to a career in the expanding field of transport consultancy and public policy. Our Transport Planning and Engineering MSc will teach you engineering techniques to develop transport networks that are founded on fundamental principles, robust evidence, sustainable and equitable principles, state-of-the-art modelling, accurate data analysis, and an understanding of human psychology. Taught by researchers with an international reputation, this Masters degree has been designed following close consultation with industry to help prepare you for a rewarding career. It also addresses the multi-disciplinary nature of transport – enabling you to make effective decisions for clients, employers and society. Studying in the Institute of Transport Studies at Leeds will also give you a unique head start in your career in transport. Not only does our world-leading research shape the course, but our close links with large corporations means you’ll have chance to interact with potential employers and possibly interview for graduate schemes and other vacancies. We also offer opportunities to build your industry work experience before you graduate with work placements and project work throughout your course. Why study at Leeds:
- Learn the latest innovations in transport planning and beyond from our Institute for Transport Studies’ world-leading research conducted right here on campus that feeds directly into the course.
- Advance your knowledge and skill set in developing solutions to engineering problems that fit the broader aims of transport and planning policy.
- Tailor the course to suit your career aspirations with a wide selection of optional modules in areas such as road geometry and infrastructure, public transport management and railway signalling to hone your knowledge and specialise in topics that interest you the most.
- Build industry experience collaborating on a multi-disciplinary team project with students from other degree specialisms that focuses on a real-world transport problem posed by Leeds City Council and/or choosing our optional four-month industrial placement scheme.
- Familiarise yourself with industry-standard models and tools such as VISSIM, SATURN and DRACULA.
- Experience expert theoretical and practical teaching delivered by a programme team made up of researchers and academics from the Institute for Transport Studies who have extensive expertise across a variety of transport disciplines.
- Enhance your career prospects and join our successful alumni who have secured jobs in some of the most influential companies and institutions in transport.
- Take advantage of our close working relationships with big organisations in industry such as ARUP, AECOM and Transport for London who actively advertise and recruit directly from the Institute of Transport Studies.
- This course offers flexible study options where you can study full-time over 12 months or part-time over 24 or 36 months to fit in with your lifestyle.
Assessment is varied and can include coursework essays, case-study reports, group assignments, posters, presentations and exams.
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a related subject such as engineering, environmental science, maths, physics, computing, natural sciences or a quantitative subject. Graduates from other disciplines and those with professional qualifications plus experience in the sector will also be considered. We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course