If you believe all the world’s a stage, our degree will prepare you to land that leading role by giving you the training, techniques and entrepreneurial skills you need to succeed in a competitive business. Using a range of approaches from plays and multimedia performance to physical and musical theatre, you develop your skills and gain wide experience through both performing established repertory and devising exciting new works. You are also given a foundation in drama theory and trends in performing arts, and are encouraged to think, write and talk about how this theory informs your work. Each year, you perform in a large-scale work made with professional directors, which could be anything from Shakespeare to a cutting-edge contemporary multimedia production. You will also prepare for graduation by forming a company and creating your own work to show in our professional 280-seat theatre. Why choose this course?
- Gain performance experience in our state-of-the-art rehearsal studios and 280-seat professional theatre
- Benefit from being taught by our highly experienced teaching team as well as learning from visiting actors and directors active in the industry
- Create a major piece of work for the annual student showcase and performance festival
- Take advantage of extra-curricular activities including cultural exchanges, societies and trips
- Learn entrepreneurial skills to help you find and audition for work in the theatre and performance industries as well as apply for arts funding
Areas of study include:
- Analysing Performance
- Creating Contemporary Performance
- The Actor in Performance
- Understanding Performance
- Understanding the Performance Sector
- Working in the Performance Sector
- Acting in Context
- Acting Laboratory
- Teaching and Community Practice
- Musical Theatre
- Questioning Performance
- Practice as Research
- Professional Practice in Performing Arts
- Small Scale Production
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2023.
If you already have a 2023 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Bedford Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 3
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered. If you would like to check that your qualifications will be accepted please contact the university.
Additional entry requirements
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course