Embark on our creative writing degree and from the very start you’ll study and practise the art and craft of writing in a wide range of established and new forms, from prose fiction and poetry, to screenwriting and writing for computer games. You'll also focus on how writers read texts, how we can learn from them and how to add your own voice into the ongoing conversation of literature. You’ll learn from award-winning, leading poets, novelists and scriptwriters at the renowned Manchester Writing School – writers who know what it takes to turn a flash of inspiration into brilliant words on the page. The course also has a strong emphasis on professional development, and in our practical 'Beyond the Page' units you’ll look at professional practice in the literary industry and working in the cultural industry in general. In our workshops, you’ll study the formal aspects of creative writing as well as putting your own skills into practice. If you choose the placement route, you will be able to spend Year 3 of your studies on an industry placement. A placement is a key element of the course as it allows you to apply university-based knowledge, skills and understanding to the real world of work. It also gives you an advantage when you begin looking for your first job upon graduating. You may also have the opportunity to spend a year expanding your horizons, either studying with one of our partner universities overseas, or working on a placement within the industry.* All of this culminates, in your final year, in a challenging creative writing project of your own. And for those looking to develop their craft still further, this degree is excellent preparation for our MA/MFA Creative Writing. This course is also available with a foundation year. *Placement and/or study abroad options may be available, potentially extending the duration of study up to 4 years. Study abroad will be subject to any international travel restrictions and/or availability. Features and Benefits
- You’ll learn from the experience and expertise of a wide range of leading poets, novelists and scriptwriters based at The Manchester Writing School, one of the largest and one of the most successful of its kind in the UK.
- Ranked in the top 10 universities in the UK for creative writing (Complete University Guide 2022).
- Staff include award-winning poets and writers, including winners of the Costa First Novel Award, and the Ted Hughes Award.
- You’ll have access to the many conferences, readings, research programmes, festivals and competitions run by the department.
- We’ll help you build your own network among our many partners within the creative and culturally rich, UNESCO City of Literature, Manchester.
- You can take the four-year route, spending a year studying overseas, or boost your career prospects with a placement in industry.
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2023.
If you already have a 2023 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 in English Language or Level 2 Functional Skills English pass
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course