You may have heard that legal education is changing. Our LLB course has been redesigned to meet those changes and will provide you with an excellent grounding as you take your first steps towards a legal career. The LLB course at the University of Northampton covers the seven foundations of legal knowledge required to meet the core academic requirements required by the Bar Standard Board for entry onto the Bar Training Course. For students who aspire to become solicitors, our LLB course has been designed to help you prepare for the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE) as alongside the traditional foundations of legal knowledge there are additional optional modules covering SQE topics such as civil litigation, property law and practice, business law and criminal litigation. A law degree is not just for those who wish to pursue a legal career; it equips you with a great many skills which are desired by the graduate jobs market. We know that not all our students will wish to enter the legal profession and we have designed our course programme to offer flexibility so that you can choose options which match your interests and will help you to achieve your goals. We offer a wide range of additional voluntary activities, such as court visits, mooting, client interviewing and negotiating as part of the Law LLB. There is also the opportunity for you to join the Student Law Society, which organises social and professional activities that help to prepare you for a legal career. You will also be encouraged to get involved with our Pro Bono Advice Clinic that will allow you to put your learning to practice in real-life scenarios and make a positive difference within the local community. Our Law division also has links with local organisations such as the Northamptonshire Rights and Equality Council and Citizens Advice, that you can benefit from and explore as work experience opportunities. By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:
- You will experience student life at the University’s £330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you won’t have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK**
- Whatever your ambitions, we’re here to help you to achieve them. We’ll support you to identify the skills you’re learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you’ll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
- In fact, we’re so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still haven’t secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three – six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
STAGE 1 • Learning the Law (Compulsory) • UK and EU Constitutional Law (Compulsory) • Law of Contract (Compulsory) • Criminal Law (Compulsory) • Ethics, Discrimination, and Human Rights (Compulsory) • Current Legal Issues and Jurisprudence (Compulsory) STAGE 2 • Law in Action (Compulsory) • Judicial Protection under UK and EU Law (Compulsory) • Law of Tort (Compulsory) • Criminal Litigation (Designated) • Child and Family Law (Designated) • Biosphere Law (Designated) • Organised Transnational Crime (Designated) • Intellectual Property Rights Law (Designated) • Medical Law and Ethics (designated) • Practical Placement Preparation (WBL) (Designated) OPTIONAL PLACEMENT YEAR • The Placement Year Experience: Organisations in Context (compulsory) STAGE 3 • Law Dissertation (Compulsory) • Law of Equity Wills, Probate and Trusts (Compulsory) • Land Law (Compulsory) • Business Law and Practice (Designated) • Property Practice (Designated) • Civil Litigation and ADR (Designated) • Civil Law on the High Street (Designated) • Legal Skills in Practice (Designated) • Sentencing and Penal Policy (Designated) • Contemporary Issues in Human Rights (Designated) • Information Technology Law (Designated) Module information is quoted for 22/23 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly. 23/24 entry modules will be updated in June 2023.
Assessment methods vary on our Law LLB course. The modules involve a variety of assessment activities including seminar debates, group and individual presentations and project work.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Bar Standards Board
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|