Geology is a wide ranging and fascinating subject. On our BSc Geology we cover many areas of interest, including:
- study of the Earth, its history and development and the evolution of life on its surface
- the processes that occur within the Earth
- human interactions with our planet, from finding essential raw materials to assessing risks from volcanoes and earthquakes.
- We offer you flexible teaching methods, balancing face-to-face and online learning.
- Exciting field trip opportunities to famous geological sites in the UK, Greece and Morocco.
- Accredited by the Geological Society of London as a recognised professional qualification. We are the only university that offers this option through distance learning.
- We are part of the joint UCL-Birkbeck Institute of Earth and Planetary Sciences (IEPS) meaning we share laboratories, expertise and events, all open to students for research projects. Find out more about our research facilities.
- Birkbeck was rated in the top 25 universities in the UK for its Earth Systems and Environmental Science research in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework.
- Our Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences has been offering evening study courses for over 70 years and distance learning for over 20 years.
- engineering geologist
- higher education lecturer.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
A combination of reports on field-based projects, laboratory work and written examinations. Some modules include continuous assessment through written work.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- The Geological Society
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. We also accept other English language tests.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. ALTERNATIVE ENTRY ROUTES Students who successfully complete Birkbeck's Certificate of Higher Education in Earth History and Palaeontology, Geology, Mineralogy and Volcanology or Planetary Science with Astronomy will be considered for a place on the BSc, with the possibility of exemption from the first-year modules.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6935||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birkbeck, University of London
Clearing contact detailsClearing Enquiry form
020 3907 0700
Our Clearing hotline opens at 8.30am on Tuesday 10th August until 6pm and 9am on Wednesday 11th August until 6pm. From Thursday 12th August our phone lines will be open 10.30 - 6pm (Mon-Thur) and 10.30 -5pm (Fri). Virtual Clearing Event - http://www.bbk.ac.uk/events/
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Birkbeck Student Advice Service
0203 907 0700