University Centre Rotherham has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
About this Course: This course delivers a higher level of study for those who are looking for a career within the hair and beauty sector as a manager or salon owner. It will provide you with the technical skills needed to work within specialised areas of hair and beauty at an advanced level. Throughout your time on the course you will learn new advanced practical skills, attend lectures and seminars, perform extensive research activities and supervise your peers at various levels to develop your management skills. We have fully equipped, state of the art salons with professional ranges of products and new advanced IPL equipment as well as extensive links with industry and highly trained and industry experienced staff. You will offer professional treatments in commercial clinics as an advanced specialist Once you have completed your HNC Level 4 you can choose to progress your study further to the HND (Higher National Diploma) Level 5 at Retford The course is practical and theory-based with high expectations to produce quality assignment work, using advanced referencing techniques synonymous with universities. Modules Covered: The following subjects are typical examples of what you may study; however, course content is regularly reviewed to reflect changes in the industry. Year 1
- The Performing Arts Industry
- Professional Development
- Investigation of a Specialism
- Special FX
- Hair and Makeup Application
- Fashion and Fashion Editorial Hair and Make-Up
- Period Hair and Make-Up
- Hair and Make-Up Design
- Employment within the TV and film industry, theatre, makeup consultancy or self-employment.
- You can progress to university and gain a BA (Hons) degree with a further year of study after also completing the HND award in Performing Arts Production Specialist Media Make-up also offered at Retford.
- You may decide to study further in other areas in this sector
- One A - Level in a creative area (e.g. Art and Design) or Level 3 qualification in Hair and Media Make-up or a BTEC Level 3/ Foundation Diploma within creative area at tutor discretion
- GCSE English and Maths grade C/4 or above, or equivalent
- You will also be required to successfully complete an interview with a course tutor
- You must be flexible and able to commit to evening and weekend activities on location
- You will be expected to purchase a uniform and kit and pay for educational visits
Theory: •Salon, sales and quality management •Public relations and marketing •Research projects, project design, implementation and evaluation •Management of client care and health and safety •Human health and nutrition, physical activity, lifestyle and well-being Practical: •Hair and scalp specialist services •Manage the creation of a hairstyle collection •Laser and light treatments for skin rejuvenation •Indian head massage •Sport and exercise massage •Aromatherapy and reflexology •Employability skills and work experience
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||48 points|
•Level 3 qualification in hair, beauty therapy or holistic therapies •GCSE English and maths grade C and above, or equivalent •You will also be required to successfully complete an interview with a course tutor •You must be flexible and able to commit to work experience activities as part of your course
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6900||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University Centre Rotherham
Clearing contact detailsOnline enquiry form
Course contact detailsVisit our course page