About this Course: This course delivers a higher level of study for those who are looking for a career within the field of specialist make-up. The course will offer you the technical skills needed to work within specialised media make-up at an advanced level. Throughout your time on the course you will practice a variety of hair, wig applications, make-up and character styles on your peers, models and actors. You will also develop a portfolio to showcase your professional skills. Employer engagement is vital within your study with us. Through employer engagement, you will develop your networking, business and client skills, where you will work with employers to meet their business needs. You will have many opportunities to take part in commercial work, creating characters on theatre productions, designing high-end fashion makeup for fashion shows and working with medical professionals to create casualty effects. Former students have taken part in Europe’s largest disaster simulation in London.You will have access to state-of-the-art facilities, equipment and professional products from companies such as Illamasqua, Mistair, Treasure House, Dermalogica and Kryolan. You will study in well-equipped studios and workshops and be taught by a team with strong reputations as practicing professional designers or researchers, as well as visiting lecturers, a dynamic programme of industry speakers, and international visits. Our close links with industry will allow you to have the opportunity to work on a range of live project briefs with many organisations. Once you have completed your HNC Level 4 you can choose to progress your study further to the HND (Higher National Diploma) Level 5 at Retford Education Centre. The course is practical and theory-based with high expectations to produce quality assignment work, using advanced referencing techniques synonymous with universities. Modules Covered: The following subjects are typical examples of what you may study; however, course content is regularly reviewed to reflect changes in the industry. Year 1
- The Performing Arts Industry
- Professional Development
- Investigation of a Specialism
- Special FX
- Hair and Makeup Application
- Fashion and Fashion Editorial Hair and Make-Up
- Period Hair and Make-Up
- Hair and Make-Up Design
- Employment within the TV and film industry, theatre, makeup consultancy or self-employment.
- You can progress to university and gain a BA (Hons) degree with a further year of study after also completing the HND award in Performing Arts Production Specialist Media Make-up also offered at Retford.
- You may decide to study further in other areas in this sector
- One A - Level in a creative area (e.g. Art and Design) or Level 3 qualification in Hair and Media Make-up or a BTEC Level 3/ Foundation Diploma within creative area at tutor discretion
- GCSE English and Maths grade C/4 or above, or equivalent
- You will also be required to successfully complete an interview with a course tutor
- You must be flexible and able to commit to evening and weekend activities on location
- You will be expected to purchase a uniform and kit and pay for educational visits
Theory: •Salon, sales and quality management •Public relations and marketing •Research projects, project design, implementation and evaluation •Management of client care and health and safety •Human health and nutrition, physical activity, lifestyle and well-being Practical: •Hair and scalp specialist services •Manage the creation of a hairstyle collection •Laser and light treatments for skin rejuvenation •Indian head massage •Sport and exercise massage •Aromatherapy and reflexology •Employability skills and work experience
How to apply
This course is not accepting applications from students requiring a Student visa. For more information, please contact the course provider.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- North Notts College - Retford Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
•Level 3 qualification in hair, beauty therapy or holistic therapies •GCSE English and maths grade C and above, or equivalent •You will also be required to successfully complete an interview with a course tutor •You must be flexible and able to commit to work experience activities as part of your course
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6900||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University Centre Rotherham