If you’re looking to explore your creativity, establish your own unique style and take contemporary fashion design by storm, our course has the dedicated facilities and equipment, track record and industry links to get your designs on the domestic and international catwalks. Both our course and highly experienced academic team encourage you to experiment with designs, materials and garment-making while giving you the practical tools and wider experience you need to develop your individual creative approach. Based at Alexon House, previously home to one of the UK's leading fashion houses, the course offers industry-standard manufacturing facilities and the latest textile processes with access to high-spec technology including digital textile printing and pattern cutting; computer-aided design; and 3D printing. As part of our industry speaker series, you meet designers, artist, editors, curators and recruiters on a weekly basis while also getting the opportunity to join international trips to visit trade fairs and galleries. You graduate ready for industry with a professional portfolio, following in the footsteps of previous graduates, who have gone on to work with Alexander McQueen, Mary Katranzou, Lulu Liu, Sopie Webster, Amanda Wakeley, Zandra Rhodes, Love Magazine and Denza International. Some of our graduates have started their own label, such as Aaugust, who won Young Designer of the Year at Africa Fashion Week London. Foundation Year In the Foundation year you will study three days per week. The focus will be on academic writing skills and numeracy, plus subject-specific content to fully prepare you for entry to an Undergraduate degree. The course has been designed to develop your skills and to prepare you for entry onto the first year of your chosen course. It provides a balance between content related to your chosen subject and the range of wider skills required for undergraduate study. This is an integrated four-year degree, with the foundation year as a key part of the course. You will be required to pass the foundation year in order to progress to the first year of your BA (Hons) degree. This course is ideal for those who do not meet our standard entry requirements or those with a non-standard educational background. It will allow you to graduate with a full undergraduate degree in your chosen subject in four years. Why choose this course?
- You learn the specialised design and craft skills you need to make your mark in the domestic and international fashion industry
- You study in a dedicated, stimulating and lively studio environment with a sewing machine for every student
- Our close links with the industry and leading fashion designers mean you work on real briefs and live projects; you’re also encouraged to enter competitions and awards
- Your personal creative development is underpinned by a sound knowledge the history of fashion design; contemporary debates in fashion; multicultural and international contexts; and understanding of the wider visual world
- At Alexon House, you are part of a community spanning the art, design and creative industries, and can explore related disciplines such as digital photography, screen-printing and illustration
- You can challenge established designers when you prepare a garment collection and showcase your work on the runway at our Graduate Fashion Show
Areas of study include:
- Context and Ideas
- Fashion Design: Exploring Materials and Methods
- Introducing Studio Practice
- Thinking Through Making
- Collaborative Enterprise
- Context and Meaning
- Developing Professional Practice
- Fashion Design: Developing Materials and Methods
- Creative Futures
- Critical and Creative Contexts
- Final Major Project: Fashion Design
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2023.
If you already have a 2023 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Luton Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
Applicants with other qualifications and/or work experience will be considered. If you would like to check that your qualifications will be accepted please contact the university.
Additional entry requirements
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course