Our accredited food science course gives you the scientific knowledge and technical skills to:
- Design and engineer innovative food
- Enhancing taste, texture and nutrition
- Develop sustainable ingredients
- Make food safe and affordable
- Food processing facility - learn about different technologies and engineering
- Quality control lab - use equipment to assess product and process quality
- Teaching lab - learn about the role of microbiology in food safety and production
- Flavour lab - use our world class lab to understand flavour chemistry
- Sensory science centre - test consumer preferences and understand how we perceive flavour
- Industry placement - you can add a year in industry between years two and three
- Computer Science year - use algorithms to analyse complex data and apply this to your course
We'll teach you about biochemistry and physiology, to develop your scientific understanding of food. Fundamentals in Food Science and Nutrition covers the functional properties of food and the impact this has on diet. Learn about the importance of sustainable food production and how we can achieve this through the supply chain. In the second year, you get a detailed understanding of process engineering. You will follow the whole process from the ingredients used to the final packaged food. You'll develop skills in sensory evaluation. Using techniques, you'll understand how to test consumer acceptance of new products. You'll study technical, scientific and engineering concepts in food spoilage, food preservation and food quality. In the final year you will carry out a unique research project supervised one-on-one by our academic team. You'll deepen your understanding of microbial methods and the use of data. You'll study food flavour, looking at aroma, taste and texture perception. You'll work as a team to develop a new product to present to your peers and industry.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Sutton Bonington Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||Minimum 5.5 in each element.|
|TOEFL (iBT)||80||Minimum 17 in Writing and Listening; 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking.|
|PTE Academic||65||Minimum 59 in each element.|
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.