You want to work within the community to encourage change and help others. You can harness your passion and become a confident and fully qualified social worker, allowing you to make a positive difference in vulnerable and disadvantaged peoples lives. Our social work degree is approved by Social Work England, designed to give you the knowledge, practical experience and connections that will allow you to kickstart a successful career in social work. What’s more, our social work courses are ranked in the top 25 in the UK overall, and 2nd in the North West for students satisfied with teaching (Guardian University Guide 2023 Results). Course Overview On this social work course, you’ll get hands-on experience and the chance to talk to and work with people in the care system. You will gain insight into your future profession with 170 days of placements (70 days in year two and 100 days in year three). Our expert tutors will teach you theory through lectures, seminars and hands-on practice using facilities including hands-on training for social practice including simulations of home visits, hospital discharge meetings and court work. You will learn to work as a team and develop leadership skills to boost your confidence and future career. You'll benefit from our great reputation as a provider when applying for jobs. Upon graduation from this BA (Hons) Social Work degree, you will be eligible to apply for registration as a social worker with Social Work England. You'll be in the ideal position for a career as a professional social worker or practitioner. On this course you will:
- Have access to people with lived experience of social work services, allowing you to speak to people who have had social workers in their lives.
- Learn and receive excellent support from lecturers who take pride in being approachable and caring for your health and wellbeing.
- Study social work using transformative learning, including simulations of hospital discharge meetings and mock case conferences. Our mock hospital ward and mock house will help you develop your practical skills.
- Be taught by registered social workers with many years of experience in both adult and children services. Their experience is used to guide your learning in real-life scenarios.
- Complete 170 days of professional placements allowing you to gain real-world experience and boost your key skills ready for when you become a qualified social worker.
- Law and Social Policy
- Politics, Discrimination and Social Justice
- Professional Skills 1: Core Skills for Working with People
- Development through the Life Course
- Experts By Experience
- Safeguarding Adults and Children
- Professional Skills 2: Applying Models of Assessment and Intervention in Practice
- Understanding and Developing Research and Evidence Based Practice
- First Placement
- Reflection on Practice
- Working with Children
- Working with Adults
- Professional Skills 3: Specialist Skills for Social Work Practice
- Critical Evaluation of Social Work Practice
- Organisational Factors and Leadership in Social Work
- Contemporary Issues in Social Work
- Final Placement
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Carlisle - Fusehill Street
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE C or 4 / National 5 at C / Irish Ordinary Cert at C in English.
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Cumbria
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
University of Cumbria
0845 606 1144