Transport is one of the largest industries in the world, facilitating the movement of everything from people to food, fuel and other essential/non-essential goods we now rely on in society. Without a cohesive transport infrastructure, economies would collapse, which means the demand for qualified specialists who have the acumen in this field is at an all-time high. Studying our Transport Infrastructure: Design and Construction MSc will give you a holistic view of the design, construction and maintenance of land transport infrastructure, regarded by the construction industry as a key asset in the engineers they need to recruit. You’ll develop a sophisticated understanding of techniques at the forefront of transport infrastructure, whilst exploring the latest technological developments, advanced materials and what the future holds for monitoring and repairing infrastructure. The specialist knowledge and extensive skill set you’ll build throughout the course will give you the expertise sought after by key employers in industry, with career opportunities spanning from project managing and planning to engineering and design. Why study at Leeds:
- Graduate with an MSc from a university ranked in the top 5 in the UK for Civil Engineering, Guardian University Guide 2023, and 44th in the world for Civil and Structural Engineering, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022.
- Learn the latest innovations in relevant areas like transport investment, railway track design and infrastructure resilience from the impactful, world-leading research conducted right here in our School which feeds directly into the course.
- Advance your knowledge and skills in critical areas sought after in industry such as transport infrastructure strategy, bridge engineering, construction technology and railway track infrastructure design.
- Tailor the course to suit your interests with our selection of optional modules that’ll expand your knowledge into different areas like geotechnical engineering and concrete design.
- Conduct your own individual research project as part of your course and gain industry experience in researching and delivering a project that focuses on a real-world problem and explores your specific interests and career ambitions.
- Access specialist facilities including a design studio and laboratory space for structures, materials, public health engineering, building services and geotechnics.
- Experience excellent practical and theoretical teaching delivered by a programme team with a wealth of expertise and industrial experience across many relevant areas and who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research as part of the Materials and Structures research group.
- Master the most up-to-date practices and techniques recognised in industry on a course that has been directly informed and advised by the Industrial Advisory Committee and the Institution of Civil Engineers.
You’ll be assessed using a range of techniques including case studies, technical reports, presentations, in-class tests, assignments and exams. Optional modules may also use alternative assessment methods.
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a subject with an engineering or other mathematical content. If a candidate has relevant experience, bachelor degrees with a 2:2 will be considered.
English language requirements
English language requirements for non native English speakers: IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component, or equivalent qualification.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course