What career could be more rewarding than one that supports women as they bring new life into the world? This course, with an accreditation by the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) and UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative, will enable you to do just that. Why study BSc (Hons) Midwifery (with Foundation Year) at BU?
- You can opt to study at either of our campuses – Bournemouth or Portsmouth.
- With a strong emphasis on women-centred care, the course offers an equal balance of theory and practice.
- 50% of the course will be spent in practice placements, in community, birth centre and hospital settings, where you’ll learn from your interactions with women, families, midwives and other health professionals.
- You’ll be introduced to new equipment and skills in our simulation facilities, including a birthing suite, where you can familiarise yourself with techniques prior to going into practice.
- Learn from experienced and knowledgeable registered midwives and other healthcare practitioners.
- 95% of our nursing graduates are either employed or in further study within 15 months of graduating (source DiscoverUni 2023)
During the foundation year, you will study the following units: Academic Study Skills, Applied Sciences, Introduction to Biology, Introduction to Psychology, Mathematics in Science and Foundation Year Project. Year 1 core units include: Midwifery Practice 1A; Midwifery Practice 1B; Childbirth Journeys; Fundamental Midwifery Care; Promoting Health; Foundations for Professional Practice and Research
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland