The foundation year will introduce you to study at university and your chosen subject. It also provides a highly supportive environment where you can develop your self-confidence. You’ll be taught by a dynamic team of tutors who are highly skilled musicians, including recognised industry music producers, creative technologists, songwriters, composers, and performers with real world experience. With their expert guidance, you will master techniques that can be applied to a range of settings, from the stage to the club, to the art gallery, games console or mobile phone, covering a variety of approaches and styles. You’ll compose and produce music using specialist facilities and develop your use of Apple’s Logic and Ableton Live, along with a range of other industry standard music software packages. You’ll be able to explore areas including studio recording and mixing, sampling and creative composition, sound design, music industry skills, music for media and film, audio for games and interactive media, and multi-channel surround sound mixing. Top reasons to study with us
- A year-round programme of events will offer you the chance to showcase your talents in a variety of venues, including Canterbury Cathedral.
- You’ll be encouraged to collaborate with Commercial Music and Music students, along with students from other disciplines, such as Performing Arts, Dance, and Games Design.
- On-site you’ll have access to industry-standard facilities and stunning performance spaces, including specialist resources in our Mac suites, rehearsal rooms, recording studios and sound design labs containing the latest equipment.
- St Gregory’s, a historic church that has been converted into a beautiful music venue which seats 150 and has been designed to enhance the experience of the audience and performer.
- Music studios, in our dedicated creative arts building, are kitted out with in-house instruments and state-of-the-art control rooms sporting both digital sound and video editing software.
- Performance areas for large and small gigs, and stunning venues, including Canterbury Cathedral.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
Please see our website for information
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
Additional entry requirements
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.