The Master of Public Health (MPH) is ideal if you’re working in public health and you wish to improve your skills and broaden your knowledge in ways that provide you with more autonomy and expertise in public health practice.
- Develop the skills and knowledge needed to become a Public Health Practitioner who can lead, develop and evaluate public health projects
- Critically explore health organisations and health care provision
- You will investigate public health approaches used toward health protection and promotion for individual, community and population health
- Gain a deep, conceptual understanding that enables evaluation of current research in order to use the best evidence base
- Develop a critical understanding of the wider determinants of health and interventions aimed at reducing health inequalities
Modules include: essential public health; epidemiology and statistics; health promotion and behaviour change; health leadership, assessment and inequalities; health economics and health information; global issues in environmental and public health; health protection and intervention strategies; independent scholarship.
The assessments are designed to test the module learning outcomes, which are derived from the module content, generic learning outcomes and programme aims. All assessment of knowledge and applied skills is carried out by coursework.
Admissions to this programme are consistent with those of a Regulatory Framework for Postgraduate Taught Programmes. Applicants should normally have: EITHER A minimum of a lower second class Honours degree (2:2) or above in a public health related science from a UK university, the CNAA or an overseas equivalent with National Agency for the Recognition and Comparison of International Qualifications and Skills (NARIC) approval. OR Qualifications and experience considered to be equivalent to the above. All students applying via this route will be assessed and where necessary interviewed by the Programme Leader. Additionally, International students will be expected to demonstrate their proficiency in English and would normally be expected to have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above in all areas, subject to academic discretion. International students with a visa are required to study on campus. The final decision regarding admission will be with the MPH Programme Leader.
Fees and funding
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.
Additional fee information
University of Derby
Clearing contact detailsNeed more information? Please get in touch.
Course contact detailsVisit our course page