**Please note that the information provided relates to the current academic year and is subject to change without notice by Sheffield Hallam University. Please check the Sheffield Hallam University website for the latest information.** Course summary:
- Work across a variety of forms including 2D drawn and digital-based animation, stop motion and 3D CGI animation.
- Specialise in your preferred animation discipline for your major project film.
- Produce a portfolio of project work to showcase your skills to potential employers.
- written reports
- peer critique groups
- Live projects: You will work on industry briefs in collaboration with Animation Studios and learn to respond to clients’ feedback.
- Field trips: We tend to engage yearly with the Manchester Animation Festival providing individual tickets to all students at no additional cost. We also provide other opportunities to engage with other film festivals such as Aesthetica in York as well as the Children’s Media Conference, and Doc Fest.
- Networking opportunities: We arrange animation seminars and guest lectures by industry experts. Our industry links include Aardman Animation, Double Negative, Frame Store, MacKinnon and Saunders, Cartoon Saloon, Finger Industries, Flickermill, Grizzle, Jellyfish Animation, and Kerrupt Animation.
- Competitions: In your third year you will have the opportunity to submit your work for the Nick Park Award, an annual competition exclusive to Sheffield Hallam students which is judged by the team at Aardman Animation. You may also have the chance to enter other prestigious competitions, such as the annual Royal Television Society Yorkshire Student Television awards, where our students have won multiple prizes.
Module and assessment information for future years is displayed as currently validated and may be liable to change. When selecting electives, your choices will be subject to the core requirements of the course. As a result, selections may be limited to a choice between one of two or more specified electives in some instances. You will be able to complete a placement year as part of this course. Year 1 Compulsory modules 2D Animation Foundation Animation Analysis CGI Animation Foundation Creative Challenges Drawing For Animation Stop Motion Animation Foundation Year 2 Compulsory modules Level 5 Live Industry Project Showreel Project Visual Storytelling Year 3 Optional modules Placement Year Final year Compulsory modules Dissertation Major Animation Project Elective modules Life Drawing Professional Design Project Sound Design And Sonic Arts Practice Visual Effects Project
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
We welcome applications from people of any age. We may be flexible in our normal offer if you can show a commitment to succeed and have the relevant skills and experience. This must show that you will benefit from and finish the course successfully. Please note the University will only admit students who are aged 18 or over at the point of enrolment.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
Additional entry requirements
If your application is successful, you will be invited to submit a portfolio of work to demonstrate your ability. Find out about the selection process and how to produce a strong portfolio.
Please note that the information provided on this web page relates to 2022 courses and is subject to change without notice by Sheffield Hallam University.
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||If English is not your first language you, will need an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all skills, or equivalent.|
If your English language skill is currently below IELTS 6.0 we recommend you consider a Sheffield Hallam University Pre-sessional English course which will enable you to achieve an equivalent English score.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Scholarships, discounts and bursaries may be available to students who study this course.
Sheffield Hallam University
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Student Recruitment Operations Team
(+44) 0114 225 5533