Our three-year BSc (Hons) in Outdoor Adventure and Environmental Studies is an exciting and unique opportunity to develop your skills, knowledge and your future career pathway. We provide a programme of learning based in the heart of the Lake District National Park, where you can access and experience learning outdoors in numerous environments: lakes, rivers, woods, crags and mountains. They are on your doorstep and provide an ideal learning environment for you to learn practically together with like-minded enthusiasts. You will be joining an extended outdoor and environmental learning community of students, staff and our extensive network of contacts and employers. Overall, this programme immerses you in outdoor experiences as a vehicle to develop, outdoor skills, environmental knowledge, contemporary and creative practice, communication and facilitation skills (working with people), personal ethics and values. You will explore how people, places and environments interact and develop curiosity, ideas and a lifelong passion for learning. Our degree is a way of life that fully immerses you in outdoor learning, both theory and practice. You will be supported to develop your own informed understanding in lectures, seminars, practicals, ‘real-time’ projects, adventures and challenges, all with regular first-hand experience outdoors. A central idea of this degree course is that the environment is not just the backdrop for adventure, but it is pivotal to adventure. Increasingly there are new areas of outdoor work emerging such as using the outdoors to promote health and well-being programmes or using the outdoors therapeutically. Many students work in the expedition and outdoor skills sector developing their own businesses Why Choose University of Cumbria
- Explore the outdoors while developing academic, critical-thinking and valuable life skills
- Develop and enhance your competencies in outdoor activities (eg: mountaineering, paddling and caving) and environmental field skills
- Learn about the environment via exciting field studies in the UK and abroad, including an international field course in Northern Spain in the Picos de Europa Mountains
- Develop your ability to work with people and to develop their health and well-being.
- Optional modules include outdoor education, Geography, Adventurous learning modules and therapeutic applications in the outdoors
- Taught by tutors who are active in the outdoors, environmental contexts and conduct international research
- Evaluate current outdoor practice and philosophies
- Great facilities, including indoor climbing walls, outdoor stores and lakeside access
- Well-equipped and including kayaks, canoes, climbing gear and expedition kit, for you to borrow at no extra cost
- Gain valuable commercial and entrepreneurial skills and enhancing your employability
- Opportunity for work-based experience in some modules
- Visits to and from employers and external organisations to hone your skills to gain employment
Year one - Compulsory modules: Water, Rock, Mountain, Wood, Urban, Earth, Wind and Fire. Year two - Compulsory modules: Exploring Research Outdoors, Outdoor Living/Learning and Adventure, Habitats and Ecosystems, European Mountains: Ecology, Culture and Travel. Optional modules (subject to availability and demand): Environmental Aesthetics, Recreation in Woodland, Traditional and Innovative Approaches in the Outdoors, Physical Geography for Outdoor Educators. Year three - Compulsory modules: Dissertation (with various options), Adventure and Environmental Ethics, Wilding and Conservation. Optional modules (subject to availability and demand): Participant Coaching, Ice and Snow (Cold Environments), International Applications of Outdoor Education, Outdoor and Environmental Education, Therapeutic applications.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|