Birkbeck, University of London has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Whether your interest lies in social sciences, social work, business, economics or in the arts and humanities, the Certificate of Higher Education in Higher Education Introductory Studies offers you the chance to develop the learning approaches and skills you need to successfully pursue undergraduate study. It also provides an opportunity to explore different subject areas before you decide on a particular degree. On this course, you will have the support of established academics in the subject you are studying, as well as the opportunity to take part in additional course activities, such as our social sciences reading group. You will also be given support and guidance on making a degree application. Progression routes are available on to several Birkbeck undergraduate degrees. The certificate is also a standalone University of London qualification, recognised by employers and universities. Highlights
- Progress directly into Year 2 of our BSc Social Sciences, BSc Business or BSc Geography after successfully completing this course.
- Our academic staff are recognised authorities in their fields, delivering stimulating and relevant teaching programmes.
- Several specialist pathways are available, so you have the opportunity to study subjects that match your interests.
- Designed to help you become an independent learner and to meet your study skill needs if you are new to higher education, including essay writing and presentation skills.
- In addition to Birkbeck financial support, each year we also award a number of further donor bursaries to a selection of students on this course.
For information about course structure and the moules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Coursework, timed assessments and seminar presentations.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
How to apply
To apply for this course you will be taken to the provider's website, where you can find out more information and make an application.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. If you don’t meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses, foundation programmes and language support services to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
No specific formal qualifications are required, but fluent written and spoken English equivalent to Level 2 (ie GCSE grade A-C or new grade 7-4, or equivalent) is expected. Students wishing to progress to some degrees may be required to have GCSE grade A-C or new grade 7-4 in English, mathematics and/or science. Please check entry requirements for the degree to which you intend to apply. This programme is not suitable for students who already have an undergraduate degree.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6500||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£6500||Year 1|