Smart technology is the future. Machines that talk to each other, learn from their surroundings and respond accordingly – think autonomous robots – are the shape of things to come. On this MSc Engineering Smart Systems course, you’ll put yourself at the centre of these exciting technological developments, working at the forefront of Industry 4.0. Our new interdisciplinary masters course focuses on applied skills. It will give you the ability to manage forward-thinking technical strategies, and the skills to deploy the latest digital technologies across the engineering sector. You’ll study a range of core units, exploring the key technological and manufacturing foundations of Industry 4.0. You’ll also develop professional skills with two project management units, where you will learn the principles behind delivering innovation to industry. In our high-tech facilities, you’ll learn to use the tools and equipment you’ll come across in the workplace. Throughout it all, you’ll have the support of our experienced teaching and research staff, who will ensure that what you learn is 100% relevant to industry. And, with technical, real-world thinking and project management skills, you will have a proven ability, ready to play a constructive role in shaping our technological future. Features and benefits
- Industry-standard facilities and software – You’ll have access to the latest tools and equipment such as the FESTO CP Lab, to help you hone your practical skills. You’ll also have access to industry leading software such as Siemens NX, Tecnomatix and TIA Portal.
- Industry driven – The course is closely aligned to Siemens’s Connected Curriculum and was developed under the guidance of our Industrial Advisory Board.
- Teaching expertise - We have more than 60 highly respected academic staff members and post-doctoral researchers working at the forefront of industry.
- Enhance your employability - The course is designed to deliver the professional competencies employers desire and provide you with a valuable set of transferable skills that will set you apart from others.
- Cutting-edge research – Our researchers are addressing the biggest challenges facing contemporary society, from combating the adverse effects of climate change, to seeking a sustainable future and giving Industry 4.0 the tools it needs to succeed.
- Optional placement year - put theory into practice with an industry placement, boosting your career prospects and gaining specialist expertise and transferrable professional skills.
You’ll need a UK honours degree – at least a 2:2 – or the international equivalent, in engineering, physics, mathematics, computing or equivalent. Applicants with relevant and extensive professional experience in the relevant fields will be considered. English requirements: IELTS 6.5, with no component below 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification. International students please see mmu.ac.uk/international. International students who successfully complete any of the pre-masters courses below will also be eligible to join the course: Certificate in Professional Studies: Electrical and Electronic Engineering Certificate in Professional Studies: Mechanical Engineering Certificate of Achievement for Engineering Practice (Electronic Engineering) Certificate of Achievement for Engineering Practice (Mechanical Engineering)
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 69 69