Smart technology is the future. Machines that talk to each other, learn from their surroundings, and respond accordingly – think autonomous robots – are the shape of things to come. On this MSc Engineering Smart Systems course, you’ll put yourself at the centre of these exciting technological developments, working at the forefront of Industry 4.0. Our interdisciplinary masters course focuses on applied skills. It will give you the ability to manage forward-thinking technical strategies, and the skills to deploy the latest digital technologies across the engineering sector. You’ll study a range of core units, exploring the key technological and manufacturing foundations of Industry 4.0. You’ll also develop professional skills with two project management units, where you will learn the principles behind delivering innovation to industry. In our high-tech facilities, you’ll learn to use the tools and equipment you’ll come across in the workplace. Throughout it all, you’ll have the support of our experienced teaching and research staff, who will ensure that what you learn is relevant to industry. And, with technical, real-world thinking and project management skills, you will have a proven ability, ready to play a constructive role in shaping our technological future. Features and Benefits:
- Industry driven – The course is closely aligned with Siemens’s Connected Curriculum and was developed under the guidance of our Industrial Advisory Board.
- Enhance your employability – The course delivers the professional competencies employers desire and provides you with a valuable set of transferable skills to set you apart from others.
- Cutting-edge research – 90% of our research impact is world-leading (REF 2021). Our researchers are addressing the biggest challenges facing contemporary society, from combating the adverse effects of climate change, to giving Industry 4.0 the tools it needs to succeed.
- Optional placement year – Put theory into practice with an industry placement, boosting your career prospects and gaining specialist expertise and transferrable professional skills.
- Learn alongside world-leading research – We are 6th in UK for the impact of our research in Engineering and 100% of research impact is world-leading or internationally excellent (REF 2021).
- Investing in your future – We’re transforming our science and engineering campus. Opening in 2023, our multi-million redevelopment provides a professional study environment with world-class facilities so you’re well prepared to experience life within a modern industry setting when you graduate.
- Dedicated engineering studio space – Designed in collaboration with our current students, a new studio provides you with a professional environment to work individually and in groups, as well as being a great location to host Engineering events and deliver presentations to employers. The flexible space is located just above your main Engineering teaching spaces.
- Industry-standard facilities and software – You’ll have access to the latest tools and equipment such as a new Smart Infrastructure and Industry Research Lab and FESTO CP Lab, to help you hone your practical skills. You’ll also have access to industry software such as Siemens NX, Tecnomatix, TIA Portal, and Siemens MindSphere.
Please see our website for information on entry requirements.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 69 69