OVERVIEW The BA (Hons) Animation and Visual Effects course at Norwich University of the Arts (Norwich) is designed to inspire and capture the imagination of its students, balancing fundamental principles with cutting edge techniques. We embrace creativity in all aspects of the course and aim for outcomes with artistry and storytelling at their core, which explore innovative methods of moving image creation and inspire new audiences. KEY FEATURES
- Share the first-year curriculum with BA (Hons) Animation, allowing you to study the fundamental skills of thinking and working in animation and visual effects and provide students with a solid grounding in the basics needed for both disciplines
- Develop an understanding of visual/film language components such as narrative structure, design, colour and composition
- Work in relation to sustainability, diversity, and global contexts; question how the work you create, and the methods you use, can be used to make a difference to others
- Work towards project outcomes through a process of conceptualisation, experimentation and iteration, with each stage refining communication, meaning and resolve
- Learn the importance of collaborative working, presenting/pitching, time/project management, communication skills, responding to creative briefs, academic writing, and giving and receiving feedback
- Attend guest lectures and masterclasses, portfolio reviews, and participate in internal/external conferences, exhibitions and careers events, as appropriate
- Develop the observation, reflection, criticality, emotional intelligence, organisation and autonomy required of a contemporary artist together with an aptitude for problem solving
- Participate in a studio culture which facilitates peer-learning and helps build working relationships in support of collaborative practice
- From Year 2, specialise in either CGI (computer-generated imagery) or visual effects
You can find more information about the content of the BA (Hons) Animation and Visual Effects course at www.nua.ac.uk/ba-hons-Animation-and-Visual-Effects/
The University assesses you through the coursework you produce as you complete each unit. Each unit will require you to present a portfolio of work which may include finished pieces of work, written work, your research, and a reflective journal which allows you to evaluate your learning and highlight your strengths and areas for further development. You can find out more information about our assessment methods at www.nua.ac.uk/assessment/
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Norwich University of the Arts
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 3
Entry requirements for advanced entry (i.e. into Year 2 and beyond)
For Year 2 entry you will need 120 credits at Level 4 from a similar course, or equivalent experience. For Year 3 entry you will need 120 credits at Level 4 and 120 credits at Level 5 from a similar course, or equivalent experience.
NUA welcomes applicants of all ages from all backgrounds. Your application will be primarily assessed through your portfolio, responses to questions asked and personal statement, so even if you have no formal qualifications or do not meet our typical offers it can still be worth applying. If you are studying at the time of your application and your application is successful it is likely that you will receive a conditional offer. If the qualification that you are studying is not shown, do not worry as we are able to accept other pre-entry qualifications as well as combinations of different qualifications.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
Additional entry requirements
Once you have applied to BA (Hons) Animation and Visual Effects at NUA, we will ask you to prepare a portfolio. This will be used to assess your suitability for the course. Your portfolio should clearly demonstrate your passion for the subject and your individual creativity. For more information please visit our website at www.nua.ac.uk/ba-hons-animation-visual-effects/#tabs-portfolio-guidance
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.
Additional fee information
Norwich University of the Arts
3-7 Redwell Street
Course contact detailsVisit our course page