Fascinated by cyber security in today’s society? It’s a key concern for modern organisations in our digital world. BSc Computer Networks and Security, with a Foundation Year focuses on the practical needs of businesses that require high quality computer and network security, ensuring you’re equipped for a career in this increasingly important industry. Birmingham City University is also home to Cisco Systems and the Microsoft Academy Centre. About the Foundation Year The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BSc (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four). The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study course that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of your degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all of the modules of the Foundation Certificate. What's covered in the course? This four year degree takes a practice-led approach, making use of equipment and tools found in the industry to give you the best preparation for a successful career. Our approach prioritises the practical skills sought by industry, backing this up with a thorough understanding of theory. The course delivers the latest in computing, network and security technologies, with the opportunity to gain additional accreditation from Cisco, Juniper, Huawei and the Linux Professional Institute. The course delivers a well-rounded curriculum in computer network engineering, programming, server systems, security theory and practice, as well as management-level skills such as project and change management, maximising your career potential. Upon graduation you could progress into a career as a network security engineer, network administrator, and network security analyst or network security architect. Why Choose Us?
- High course satisfaction - We scored 96.8 per cent for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2020.
- Multi-Industry partnerships - We are home to Cisco Systems and the Microsoft Academy Centre As one of Microsoft’s top UK university-based academies, we are a member of the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance. This means we are able to use various Microsoft software products and online resources for research.
- Industry connections - We are also a Cisco ASC (Academy Support Centre) and Cisco Instructor Training Centre (ITC).
- State-of-the-art facilities - You will be based at Millennium Point within our City Centre Campus, where we have recently invested £6.5 million in IT facilities and labs to give you access to the latest technology and familiarise yourself with systems that will be sought after by employers.
- Optional placement year - You will have the option to carry out a placement year, in between your second and final year, and gain professional qualifications from vendors such as Microsoft, Cisco and Linux Professional Institute.
- Work on real life projects - You will have the option to join our Curzon Software House and take part in industry projects to build up skills for your CV.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Millennium Point Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||with no less than 5.5 in any level|
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birmingham City University
15 Bartholomew Row
Clearing contact details
0121 331 6777
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Course Enquiries Team
0121 331 6295