Birmingham City University has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Study our Automotive Engineering BEng degree course with a foundation year and join one of the select UK Universities to take part in Formula Student events at Silverstone. Now is a fascinating time to study automotive engineering as you’ll have the chance to be at the forefront of developments within the industry. You’ll get to work in advanced automotive workshops and laboratories equipped with industry-standard equipment, as well as take advantage of more traditional office-based facilities. You’ll gain practical experience so that you are equipped to apply engineering science to real life situations. Plus, you’ll also have the opportunity to join our BCU Formula Student racing club. The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BEng (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four). The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study programme that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of your degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all of the modules of the Foundation Certificate. What's covered in the course? Our Automotive Engineering with foundation year course is designed to develop you as an engineer able to make a significant contribution to the industry as it goes through an important period of transition. Our engineering courses focus on project-based activities, giving you lots of opportunity to work in teams on projects from design to implementation. This will give you practical experience of applying engineering science to real world problems, working in multidisciplinary teams to develop your interpersonal skills, and prepare you for a key aspect of modern engineering practice. You will develop key technical skills, enhance your creative thinking and learn from industry experts, as well as gaining knowledge and application skills in stress analysis, drivetrain systems, suspension, body engineering, design and management. Our course is structured so that its themes have a direct relevance to the industry’s current and expected future needs, and upon graduating you will have the intellectual, technical and personal qualities necessary to successfully implement new technologies. Throughout your course you will benefit from our strong industry links with companies such as the Morgan Motor Company, Westfield Sportscars and Aquila Racing Cars, Siemens, and GKN. You will also have the opportunity to join our BCU Formula Student racing club, which designs and builds a racing car each July to race at an IMechE-sponsored event at Silverstone. Why Choose Us?
- Accredited course - This course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- Employable graduates - Our graduates have progressed into roles with leading companies such as Jaguar Land Rover, Ford Motor Company and Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd.
- State-of-the-art facilities - You will be based at our Millennium Point campus in City Centre, where our facilities have undergone a £6.5 million investment with a new maker area, engineering labs/equipment and IT equipment to provide you with the very best learning experience.
- Formula Student events at Silverstone - We are one of the select UK universities with access to take part in our international Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) Formula Student event at Silverstone. Read Thomas’ story.
- Develop transferable skills – Work in groups and undertake project-based challenges to enhance your employability opportunities and skill set.
- Problem-based learning - Gain an understanding of the commercial, legal, ethical and environmental factors associated with automotive engineering.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Millennium Point Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||with no less than 5.5 in any level|
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birmingham City University
15 Bartholomew Row
Clearing contact details
0121 331 6777
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Course Enquiries Team
0121 331 6295