Coventry’s aerospace degree courses offer innovative curriculum and learning opportunities, strong industry links and excellent technical facilities. This course is taught with a focus of developing your problem-solving skills, particularly in the areas of design support, product testing and in-service support. You should gain detailed experience and understanding of how aircraft systems work whilst gaining valuable skill in applying the same processes and procedures used in the aerospace industry. You can also gain experience of the industry first-hand through our exciting industry fieldtrips, which have previously included Emirates Airlines in Dubai, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and NASA Goddard Space Flight Centre in the US and Airbus (Toulouse), Airbus (Marseille) and Finmeccanica in Europe (additional costs and availability may apply). The School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Automotive Engineering enjoys a global reputation for excellent teaching, outstanding student experience and exciting research. We work closely with the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) and our strong industry links, with companies such as Emirates, Jaguar Land Rover, GE Aviation, Meggitt, UTC Aerospace Systems, Airbus, Rolls Royce, Unipart and Birmingham International Airport, lead to placement opportunities and collaborative projects We are focused on preparing you for your first professional position and future careers, using our industrial and strategic partnerships to provide industry visits and industrial placement opportunities, which has led to past students working overseas at Airbus in France and Berntrandt in Germany. You will be taught by staff with industry and research experience in a variety of disciplines, such as aerodynamics, flight dynamics and avionics having worked for Bombardier, Rolls Royce, BAE Systems, Marston Aerospace and the Ministry of Defence. Their research expertise ranges from aerodynamics, flight dynamics, aircraft structural analysis, crashworthiness modelling and avionics to human factors in aviation; it is utilised both within the research informed teaching on the course and in the final year project. The highly practical and technical focus of the programme concentrates on engineering mathematics, aircraft systems, control systems, aerodynamics, aircraft structures and manufacturing, mechanical engineering and engineering management; all of which give our graduates a strong base from which to start professional work in aerospace design using the latest software tools. Previous students have obtained jobs in the military as pilots and engineers, as systems design engineers and engineers in various aspects of the aerospace industry. Key Course Benefits
- Our ‘Mechanical Engineering’ courses are ranked 7th in the UK (Guardian University Guide, 2019).
- Accreditation by Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) to Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
- Expert guest lectures, which previously have covered topics such as green landing systems, airship developments, aircraft design and training, and non-destructive testing in aircraft braking systems.
- On and off site access to commercial engineering software, including 3D CAD, Finite Element Analysis, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Multibody Systems for design and simulation, as well as training in industry standard Catia, HyperWorks, STAR-CCM+, SIMPACK and Matlab/Simulink software.
- Cutting-edge facilities including a full-size Harrier Jet (used for teaching), 3 full scale flight simulators, wind tunnel, composites lab, metrology lab, environmental test lab, flow lab, AVL engine test cell, automotive workshop, fatigue and tensile testing (Instron), civil engineering specialist testing equipment, a range of CNC machinery and a laser works.
Our main study themes are:
- Aerodynamics and Aircraft Systems: A broad introduction to each of the main aeronautical engineering disciplines. Covering the essentials of aerodynamics, aircraft systems and powerplants, you will have the opportunity to develop the skills to plan, perform, record, analyse and evaluate experimentation within an aerospace environment. Legal issues of relevance to the aerospace industry are also covered
- Aerospace Technology: Enhancing your awareness of the design of typical aerospace systems through the study of the relevant aerodynamic theory and aircraft systems.
- Aerospace Applications: Presents the concepts of signal acquisition and processing required as part of the study of avionic systems, including data communication and signal conditioning as applied in aircraft systems.
- Industry and professional skills: To develop your aerospace management skills providing exposure to the specific regulatory environment associated with aerospace projects.
- Human factors in aerospace technology: To develop a broad understanding of the human factors and their impact within the aerospace industrial environment, such as error, reliability, manufacturing, maintenance, methods and performance shaping factors.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Aeronautical Society, Royal
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|