If you’d like to be part of the action as a sports journalist, this course delivers the skills, knowledge, practical experience and professional contacts you need. From the Olympics to Wimbledon or the Rugby, our nation’s passion for sports coverage has never been stronger. If you would like to be involved in covering sporting events as a sports journalist, then this course delivers the skills, knowledge and practical experience you need.
- Journalism at Derby has been ranked Top 30 in the Guardian University Guide 2023
- Develop skills in researching and producing compelling sports content for multimedia platforms
- You will have opportunity to focus on the sport of your choice – from cricket, rugby, football to minority sports
- Gain invaluable experience through opportunities with sporting organisations or live sporting events such as the Commonwealth Games
- Learn in our exceptional facilities which include TV and radio studios plus a fully equipped newsroom.
- This degree is focused on equipping you with the skills you will need. Media technologies have revolutionised how journalists work, and how people receive their sports news. Sporting fans can follow their chosen sport much more closely – and they expect a high level of expertise from those covering it. This course will equip you with the professional knowledge and multimedia skills to rise to the challenge.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Additional entry requirements
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 7.0; with at least IELTS 6.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Derby
Course contact detailsVisit our course page