We have been ranked Top 20 in the UK for career prospects in Mechanical Engineering, with 92% of graduates in graduate-level jobs or further study after 15 months. BEng (Hons)/MEng Mechanical Engineering degree will develop you as a skilled engineer capable of undertaking mechanical engineering tasks within and across organisations. The course focuses on the importance of sustainable futures and the Government's STEM agenda, in order to give you the knowledge and attributes you will need to thrive in this ever-changing industry. You'll work on industry-standard analytical tools, develop your design skills, as well as exploring a wide range of facilities, such as our test cell and exhaust analysis equipment. Our engineering courses focus on project-based activities, giving you lots of opportunity to work in teams on projects from design to implementation. This will give you practical experience of applying engineering science to real world problems, working in multidisciplinary teams to develop your interpersonal skills, and prepare you for a key aspect of modern engineering practice. Problem solving and project management are key skills for an engineer, and our focus on practical experience will help to improve your skills in these highly sought after areas. During your studies, you will use the latest tools and technologies, developing new skills at an advanced level. The course will encourage your creative thinking and develop your engineering leadership skills. Building on a foundation of the generic skills required by tomorrow’s engineers, you will also explore the wider context of engineering, as well as the application of advanced engineering principles to solve problems through research and development. You’ll engage in independent study and systematic enquiry at an advanced level and take responsibility for the conclusions drawn from it. You will have lots of opportunity to apply industry-standard modelling and simulation techniques to the analysis, specification and design of mechanical engineering systems so that you are able to apply your knowledge and theory to a practical situation. In this way, we make sure you are ready to step straight into employment. Why Choose Us?
- Accredited course - This course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and Technology (IET) and Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
- Formula Student events at Silverstone - We are one of the select UK universities with access to take part in our international Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) Formula Student event at Silverstone.
- State-of-the-art facilities - You will be based at our Millennium Point campus in City Centre, where our facilities have undergone a £6.5 million investment with a new maker area, engineering labs/equipment and IT equipment to provide you with the very best learning experience. You will also use our industry-standard equipment and resources, including rapid prototyping, laser-cutting and CNC machining.
- Conceive Design Implement Operate (CDIO) Initiative – Work in groups and undertake project-based challenges to enhance your employability opportunities and skill set.
- Employable graduates - Our graduates have progressed into roles with leading companies such as Jaguar Land Rover, Morgan Motors, GKN, Bentley, Mercedes, Rolls-Royce and JCB.
- Events and Expos – We host events including Global Game Jam, TechFest, and InnovationFest enabling you to build and design your own creations, as well as gain vital organisational experience.
Year 1 - Engineering Design, Applied Mechanics and Dynamics, Applied Thermodynamics, Materials and Manufacture and Mathematical Analysis Year 2 - Sustainable Design and Manufacture, Mechanics and Dynamics, Environmental Studies Thermofluids • Management of Engineering and Technology Innovation and Numerical Analysis Year 3 - Undergraduate Project, Power and Energy Systems, Advanced Engineering Analysis, Dynamics and Control • Design Management
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Millennium Point Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||with no less than 5.5 in any level|
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birmingham City University
15 Bartholomew Row
Clearing contact details
0121 331 6777
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Course Enquiries Team
0121 331 6295