University College Birmingham has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Course snapshot Graduates with broad experience and excellent skills are highly sought after in the sport and fitness industries. Whether you are interested in coaching, fitness training, teaching or a combination of areas, UCB's Sport and Fitness Studies Top-up course will build on your knowledge to ensure you are well-placed to exploit opportunities in this dynamic employment market. You'll have access to brand new, state-of-the-art sports and fitness facilities, while our industry links will give you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience as well as further accredited qualifications. Who’s the course for? Our course is suitable for anyone who has previously studied a relevant subject and is interested in a career working within sport and fitness, including professional, amateur and educational roles. Why should I study the course?
- As a UCB sports student, you'll have exclusive use of our brand new sports facilities and equipment at our new campus building, Moss House (opening in 2019), while you'll also be able to use the state-of-the-art all-weather pitch at Avery Fields.
- You will be offered guidance and opportunities to investigate various aspects of the sport and fitness industries, tailoring each area to suit your interests and career aims.
- You will have work experience opportunities as well as being able to gain industry qualifications in areas such as personal training and coaching.
- You will also have the chance to work on your own research project, giving you the opportunity to critically analyse a particular area of exercise, health and wellness that interests you and matches your career aims.
- Sports development
- Strength and conditioning
- Armed forces or uniformed services
- Teaching or lecturing (via a PGCE qualification)
- Applied Fitness Training and Programming
- Sports Psychology 2
- Sports Project
- Sports Coaching and the Development of Expertise
- Nutrition for Performance
- Work-based Learning for Sport
Teaching Teaching is carried out by appropriately qualified and experienced lecturers. A typical teaching week will have up to 12 contact hours made up as follows:
- Large group teaching - 6 hours of lectures in lecture rooms
- Smaller group teaching - 3 hours of teaching in smaller groups
- Tutorials - 3 hours per week including a mixture of personal, group and academic tutorials
- Field trips and visits - UCB will fund a 2 day residential to St George's Park at a cost of approximately £250 per student
- Coursework - 55%
- Practical assessment - 35%
- Written examinations - 10%
How to apply
To apply for this course you will be taken to the provider's website, where you can find out more information and make an application.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 3
Entry requirements for advanced entry (i.e. into Year 2 and beyond)
- **Transferring from another university** At University College Birmingham, we consider applications from students who have studied, or are currently studying, a Higher Education course and now wish to transfer universities. - **What do I need to do?** To make an enquiry about studying at University College Birmingham, you will need to complete our online enquiry form -> **https://portal.ucb.ac.uk/#/admissions/ucb-direct-apply** Consideration for advanced entry will be dependent on the modules of your previous course, and how well this matches to the content of the course you wish to transfer to at University College Birmingham. Additionally, the process will be dependent on the number of credits achieved on your current course. Where similar study is apparent, it may be possible for us to award Accreditation for Previous Learning (APL) and, therefore, advanced entry onto a course at UCB will be permitted. Please note; due to the nature of this process, all applications are considered on an individual basis.
All non-EU international students can apply directly via our online application forms: https://portal.ucb.ac.uk/#/admissions/direct-application/intro Undergraduate applicants can also apply via UCAS, if they wish to apply to more than one university. The International Admissions team aim to respond to any new application made directly via the online application form within 5 working days of receipt. However, this can vary during peak application periods (particularly January-March) or if the team require additional information to process your application. Applicants who apply to transfer to University College Birmingham on to a second year or final year of a course will have their previous course matched for entry. Each application is considered individually and careful consideration is given to all information on your application form. We may also need to contact you regarding your immigration status or previous studies in the UK.
|UCAS Tariff||Not accepted|
|A level||Not accepted|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||Not accepted|
|Access to HE Diploma||Not accepted|
|Scottish Higher||Not accepted|
|HND (BTEC)||P||A relevant HND or a foundation degree in the areas of Sports and Exercise Science, with 240 credits.|
If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email: [email protected] EU/international students Academic: European and International qualifications studied in a relevant subject matter will also be considered applicants will need to have achieved 120 ECTS or equivalent (European Credit Transfer) If you are unsure if your previous qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email EU: [email protected] International: [email protected]
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
To apply for all undergraduate degrees, if your first language is not English, you will need to sit an approved test in English.
UCB English Language Requirements
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University College Birmingham
Clearing contact detailsApply Direct to UCB
0121 604 1040
Haven’t secured a place at university? Don’t panic! You can apply for a place at UCB through the clearing process, which opens every year in July. Not familiar with the clearing process? Here, you will find everything you need to know to get the ball rolling and secure your place at UCB. Our team of dedicated clearing advisors have your very best interests at heart and will guide you through every aspect of your application. Simply call us on 0121 604 1040 and we’ll get you started on your journey.
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UG Domestic Home and EU Admissions
0121 604 1040