Why study this course? The BA (Hons) Acting for Contemporary and Devised Performance Programme is a robust and rigorous, practice-based programme for the next generation of contemporary actors and performance makers. Throughout the programme there is a focus on the student’s individual artistic development alongside a collaborative, creative, and challenging process. Fully recognised by Equity & Spotlight, this course creates performers who are passionate, innovative and industry ready. Students on the programme will train for 30 hours per week, and each level of the programme culminates in a Directed Production led by an industry professional. Other highlights include:
- Practical training takes place for 30 hours per week across 30 weeks
- Focus on Industry preparation, contemporary performance practices, and devising
- Access to professional facilities including 6 studios, audio/visual equipment, and venues hired for productions
- Course recognised by Equity and Spotlight with students entitled to full Equity membership upon graduation
- Professional Showcase opportunity for graduating students attended by industry professionals
- Students have the opportunity to gain certification in stage combat (training and certification provided by the Academy of Performance Combat).
- Links to prestigious Royal and Derngate Theatre
- Theatre visits and workshops with Industry professionals
- HP Laptop and software included with this course.*
- You will experience student life at the University’s £330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you won’t have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- Whatever your ambitions, we’re here to help you to achieve them. We’ll support you to identify the skills you’re learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you’ll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
- In fact, we’re so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still haven’t secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three – six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
All modules are compulsory as they work together as a cohesive and holistic creative actor-training programme. STAGE 1: • Actor’s Body and Movement 1 • Acting Methodologies 1 • Vocal Technique for Actors 1 • Creative Theatre Practices 1. STAGE 2: • Advanced Acting for Contemporary Performance • Advanced Acting and Devising for Screen • Directed Production 2. STAGE 3: • Negotiated Project • Professional Practice and Performance • Professional Production. Module information is quoted for 22/23 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
Most assessments are practical performances, worth 80% of your final grade, but each module has a theoretical component, worth 20% of your final grade, that is either written in essay or rehearsal journal form or spoken in a viva voce examination.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 3
Additional entry requirements
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Northampton
The University of Northampton
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0300 303 2772