Capture the world in its many facets and faces. Create and seize unique moments in time. Explore your creative passion and bring it to life. On this photography degree, you will harness your passion and kick-start your photography career with a high-quality placement during the second year of your studies. Based on our dedicated arts campus, our photography course will enable you to study photography at university level and gain the experience and skills needed to become a photographer. Course Overview At least two-thirds of this course is practical photography from studying technical skills of contemporary and traditional photography to exploring production outcomes for print and web platforms. Facilities include a darkroom with colour processor, three shooting studios, and a digital darkroom, all supported by a dedicated photography technician. You’ll have the freedom to pursue and develop your own individual style. We run an open-door policy and we’ll be on hand to help you hone your work. Your tutors have current industry links so you’ll always be up to date with the latest technologies and industry trends. Visiting speakers will inspire and challenge you. Field trips and residentials will feed your imagination, and there will be ample opportunity for you to exhibit your work. On this course you will:
- Develop your photographic and editing skills while experimenting during workshops and outdoor activities.
- Work with students across the creative arts, collaborating on projects and exploring new mediums.
- Be taught by industry experts with experience working freelance and within creative organisations.
- Have the opportunity to exhibit your work publically alongside the work of classmates across the arts.
- Undertake a real-world creative placement where you have the opportunity to gain high-quality work experience during the second year of your studies.
- Photographic Image Capture
- Cultural Contexts
- Picturing Place: Culture & Identity
- Collaborative Practice
- Networks & Narratives: Photography in the Community
- Immersive Image-Making
- The Photographic Interface: Industry Experience
- Creative Economy Placement
- Blueprint of Practice
- Independent Research Paper
- Resolution of Practice
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Carlisle - Brampton Road
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Additional entry requirements
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Cumbria
Course contact details
University of Cumbria
0845 606 1144
Course Enquiry Centre