Creative technologies, interactive and immersive media are transforming the ways in which we experience and engage with culture. Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR) are being used across a wide range of industries, including games and entertainment; theatre and live events; museums and heritage; marketing, advertising, and tourism; architecture and design; and simulation and healthcare. This MA will enable you to translate your learning and experience in creative arts (for example writing, theatre, film or music production) into making engaging immersive content and designing innovative interactive experiences. We will equip you with the technical skills and knowledge to succeed in this exciting and rapidly growing sector. Throughout the course, you will learn from world-leading academics and pioneering thought-leaders, and work closely with creative industry partners. This MA equips students with:
- creative skills and knowledge to work with virtual reality, augmented reality and interactive media,
- critical, theoretical, and practical skills in creative technologies and immersive storytelling, which underpin effective extended reality experiences (XR),
- the ability to consider the processes of digital content creation, delivery, and consumption holistically in order to produce interactive media for a range of audiences while meeting technological constraints and addressing live industry briefs,
- the ability to work across disciplines to produce engaging immersive experiences for a variety of contexts, through working collaboratively with students on the MSc Immersive Technologies (Virtual and Augmented Reality) to bring together skills in creative arts and computer science/software development,
- skills in responsible innovation and entrepreneurship to become the next generation of leaders in immersive industry startups.
How to apply
The University of Bristol welcomes applications from international students and accepts a wide range of qualifications for postgraduate study. If you study or have studied at a university outside the UK, please select the relevant page for further information on qualifications, scholarships and education representatives in your country/region: bristol.ac.uk/international/countries
An upper second-class honours degree or international equivalent in any discipline. A creative arts subject would be particularly beneficial, but not essential. Applicants with a lower class of degree with relevant work experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis. See international equivalent qualifications on the International Office website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£13600||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£13600||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Bristol
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
+44 (0) 117 394 1649