Creative technologies and interactive and immersive media are transforming the ways in which we experience and engage with culture. Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR) are being used across a wide range of industries, including games and entertainment; theatre and live events; museums and heritage; marketing, advertising, and tourism; architecture and design; and simulation and healthcare. This MA will enable you to translate your learning and experience in creative arts (for example writing, theatre, film or music production) into making engaging immersive content and designing innovative interactive experiences. We will equip you with the technical skills and knowledge to succeed in this exciting and rapidly growing sector. Throughout the course, you will learn from world-leading academics and pioneering thought-leaders, and work closely with creative industry partners. This MA equips students with:
- creative skills and knowledge to work with virtual reality, augmented reality and interactive media,
- critical, theoretical, and practical skills in creative technologies and immersive storytelling, which underpin effective extended reality experiences (XR),
- the ability to consider the processes of digital content creation, delivery, and consumption holistically in order to produce interactive media for a range of audiences while meeting technological constraints and addressing live industry briefs,
- the ability to work across disciplines to produce engaging immersive experiences for a variety of contexts, through working collaboratively with students on the MSc Immersive Technologies (Virtual and Augmented Reality) to bring together skills in creative arts and computer science/software development,
- skills in responsible innovation and entrepreneurship to become the next generation of leaders in immersive industry startups.
How to apply
The University of Bristol welcomes applications from international students and accepts a wide range of qualifications for postgraduate study. If you study or have studied at a university outside the UK, please select the relevant page for further information on qualifications, scholarships and education representatives in your country/region: bristol.ac.uk/international/countries
An upper second-class honours degree or international equivalent in any discipline. For applicants who are currently completing a degree, we understand that their final grade may be higher than the interim grades or module/unit grades they achieve during their studies. We will consider applicants whose interim grades are currently slightly lower than the programme's entry requirements. We may make these applicants an aspirational offer. This offer would be at the standard level, so the applicant would need to achieve the standard entry requirements by the end of their degree. Specific module requirements may still apply. We will consider applicants whose grades are slightly lower than the programme's entry requirements, if they have at least one of the following: - evidence of significant, relevant work experience; - a relevant postgraduate qualification. If this is the case, applicants should include their CV (curriculum vitae / résumé) when they apply, showing details of their relevant work experience and/or qualifications. See international equivalent qualifications on the International Office website.
Fees and funding