Journalism is a superb career for anyone with natural curiosity about people and the world around them. Our course has been designed to offer professional insight and hands-on experience in industry standard TV and radio studios as well as top-level writing and social media skills.
- The focus of our course is on newsgathering and storytelling, with hands on practical skills being at the heart of everything we do. You will be provided with a Mac laptop, fully loaded with industry standard software and you will get extensive time in our TV and Radio studios as well as learning from our team of industry practitioners. This means that you will develop wealth of transferable skills including self-confidence, excellent written and verbal communications and technical skills that can be applied in all areas of the communications industry.
- As well as our team of industry practitioners you will also benefit from many opportunities to hear from our Industry guest speakers, recent examples include a Channel 4 documentary producer/director, a BBC6 Music DJ, the diplomatic correspondent of The Times, a producer for Sky Sports, the head of Instagram and Snapchat for LADbible and a literary agent. (subject to availability)
- Our course is professionally accredited by the BJTC and was ranked 2nd in the UK by the Guardian University Guide 2021. While you are with us, we will support you to find industry placements, Previous students have secured work experience and employment at Sky, the BBC, ITV, Coventry City football club, heat magazine and the New York Times amongst many others.
- Coventry University has been ranked 2nd in the UK for Journalism, Publishing and Public Relations in the Guardian University Guide 2021.
- As this course is accredited by the Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC)1, we consider it to be a forward-looking degree offering a multi-platform approach to journalism to prepare you for this dynamic industry. It is supported by outstanding TV and radio studios, a wireless newsroom, camera hire, podcasting booths and video editing suites.
- We also encourage you to get outside the classroom - we’ve previously taken past students to Amsterdam and New York, where we’ve produced live content and visited world-famous media companies, as well as carrying out projects in Spain, London, Cardiff and Bristol (trips in the UK and abroad are subject to availability, meeting applicable VISA requirements and additional fees apply).
- The course is designed to prepare you for an exciting and evolving environment that increasingly expects workers to display entrepreneurial innovation and respond to the emerging needs of both audiences and industry - while still offering traditional journalism opportunities. You will have opportunities to learn and work on projects with students from other courses in the School of Media and Performing Arts. These collaborative opportunities are a defining feature of your learning experience and place you in an advantageous position in developing your skills and employability on graduating.
- Our previous graduates can be found working for Sky, the BBC and a range of newspapers and magazines, as well as careers beyond traditional journalism in digital fields such as social media management and content creation.
We are making some exciting changes to our courses, and we want to get it just right so we can make your learning experience the best it can be. Please keep checking our website to see the great opportunities coming your way and learn more about what you’ll study.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate/BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma/BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course