Our Planet is facing a ‘Climate Emergency’. Climate Change is the greatest environmental challenge the world has ever faced. Man-made carbon emissions have resulted in unprecedented rises in global temperatures, which is having significant impacts on human, social, political, economic and natural systems. The relationship between climate change and society is highly complex, however, we have the knowledge and the technology to reduce our impact on the climate, and thus ease the pressures on the world's most vulnerable places, people and wildlife. We just need to make it happen. Businesses are a key contributor to greenhouse gas emissions; but they are also part of the solution. Climate change thus represents both a risk and an opportunity to business performance. Businesses that do not respond to the climate challenge are likely to face higher costs in terms of carbon taxes and a reduced customer base. In contrast, more progressive businesses, who adapt by decarbonizing and developing green products are likely to increase their financial, social, and environmental performance – their triple Bottom Line. The degree in ‘Business and Climate Change’ will prepare students to become future business leaders who tackle climate change head on through the development of meaningful corporate social responsibility strategies and practices. In this degree, you will combine knowledge of the science of climate change with the skills to lead a successful business. The degree explores creative ways for businesses to respond to the challenge and opportunities of the current climate crisis and it will equip you with relevant subject specific knowledge alongside the inter-disciplinary, interpersonal skills and attributes needed to create a more just and sustainable world. If your trajectory involves having a positive impact on your world, this scheme will set you securely on that rewarding journey. Students studying Business and Climate Change at Aberystwyth will:
- Develop a distinct inter-disciplinary approach to how businesses account for, and respond to, climate change
- Analyse the causes and consequence of climate change and environmental degradation, in particular from a business perspective
- Study organisations, their management and the changing external environment (including climate change) in which they operate. The programme covers a wide range of organisations, including public, private and not-for-profit, and focuses on the key functional areas of management at both the strategic and operational levels
- Prepare for a career in business and management, including the development of a range of specific business knowledge and skills, together with improved self awareness and personal development appropriate to graduates with the potential to progress into leadership positions. The programme encourages the development of positive and critical attitudes towards change and enterprise
- Enhance lifelong learning skills and personal development to contribute to society at large
- Develop and enhance a range of general transferable intellectual and study skills, which whilst being highly appropriate to careers in business and management, are not exclusive to these career choices
- Develop business graduates with an appreciation of social responsibilities, including in the area of climate change.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site (Aberystwyth)
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Applicants are selected on their individual merits and offers can vary. We allow you flexibility in meeting our entry requirements, and all qualifications that you have already gained, or are working towards, will be considered when reviewing your application. We have an inclusive policy which recognises a broad range of qualifications. The entry requirements listed above represent typical offers for some of the most popular qualifications taken by applicants. If you cannot find the qualifications that you are studying (or have previously studied) please contact our Undergraduate Admissions Office (Telephone: +44 (0)1970 622021; Email: [email protected]) for advice on your eligibility and details of the typical offer you are likely to receive.
Additional entry requirements
A minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent) English or Welsh is a requirement for entry to all our degree schemes. Business, Mathematics, Psychology and Science degree schemes also require a minimum grade C or grade 4 pass in GCSE (or equivalent).
English language requirements
If you are an international student needing more information about the English Language requirement for your course (e.g. country-specific English Language tests, Partner Institution tests, EU/EEA English Language qualifications where the school curriculum is taught in a native language) please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for further advice.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland
Additional fee information
Aberystwyth University offers a valuable package of scholarships and bursaries to support students. Our long-established Entrance Examination competition means you could get up to £2,000 a year towards your living and study costs. You can combine that with any or all of our other awards, to make your financial package more valuable. Our awards include Sport and Music Scholarships, Bursaries for Care Leavers/Young Carers/Estranged Students and a range of department specific awards. Please visit our website for full details.