Master the theoretical, experimental and computational skills required for careers in the aeronautical industry. Aeronautical Engineering is one of the fastest-growing industries in the UK, with extensive career opportunities in research and development, testing and maintenance. This course covers the basic principles of aeronautical engineering, including experimental and theoretical aerodynamics, aircraft design, flight dynamics and control, aircraft propulsion, flight simulation technologies, aircraft structures and computational aerodynamics. Employment opportunities include careers in aeronautics and aerospace, namely aircraft aerodynamics, wind turbine design and maintenance, aviation management, defense sector, aircraft maintenance, repair and operation services (MRO). You can study Aeronautical Engineering either as a three-year BEng (Hons) programme, or as a four-year integrated master’s. At the end of year three, you have the option of graduating with a BEng or continuing your studies for a further year for a MEng, subject to meeting the progression requirements. Key features
- Accreditation from the Institute of Engineering and Technology will help you start your journey towards Chartered Engineer status*.
- Through block teaching, you will focus on one module at a time instead of several at once. This means that you will be able to focus closely on each module and absorb your learning material in more depth, whilst working more closely with your tutors and course mates.
- Study a range of topics including aircraft structures and materials, flight dynamics and control, and aircraft propulsion systems.
- Benefit from the academic expertise of researchers who have experience of collaborating with international institutions such as the National Aerospace Laboratories India, Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute Russia and AMST-Systemtechnik GmbH Austria.
- Our AIRFOX DISO simulator is integrated to the programme providing a first-hand experience in flight simulator technologies.
- Use our instrumented low speed wind tunnel facility to understand the fundamentals of aerodynamics, test prototype aircraft models and acquire experimental skills relevant to aeronautics and wind tunnel testing.
- Access industry-standard software packages used in aeronautical engineering applications and research, such as MATLAB, ANSYS and OpenFOAM, which will give you the ability to work confidently in industry.
- Meet like-minded people and gain hands-on practical skills by joining our student societies, such as DMU Flyers.
- Engineering Tools and Principles 1
- Engineering Tools and Principles 2
- Fundamentals of Aeronautical Design 1
- Fundamentals of Aeronautical Design 2
- Mechanical, Energy and Aeronautical Tools and Principles
- Dynamics, Instrumentation and Control
- Aircraft Structures and Flight Dynamics
- Engineering Project Management: Design and Project Management
- Human Factors and Aviation Management
- Propulsion Systems
- Modelling and Simulation for Aeronautical Projects 1
- Analysis, Programming and Simulation for Aeronautical Projects 1
- Materials and Design for Aeronautical Projects 1
- Modelling and Simulation for Aeronautical Projects 2
- Analysis, Programming and Simulation for Aeronautical Projects 2
- Materials and Design for Aeronautical Projects 2
Assessment includes exams (unseen and open book), phase tests including multiple choice test where appropriate, group presentations, case study analysis, individual lab exercises as well as report portfolios, report and essay writing.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Leicester Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|